Corporate Counsel at ezCater
ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market in the U.S. We make it superbly easy for business people to find and order great food for meetings and events, and we help our catering partners grow their business. We’re backed by $320 million in venture funding and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. Our mission is to power the world’s catering, and we’ll make it happen – even more surely if you come help us.
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated, business-oriented lawyer to play an integral role in building ezCater’s legal function to support the Company’s rapidly expanding business. The Corporate Counsel will be an essential business partner to ezCater’s General Counsel and to internal clients across the business. The role will consist primarily of drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide variety of commercial agreements and implementing strategies to streamline the contracting process across the business. A significant aspect of the role also will include providing practical advice and guidance on a range of legal issues affecting the Company’s business. This individual must be skilled in drafting and negotiating contracts, identifying and resolving legal issues, and balancing legal and business concerns. Candidates must be team-players and creative problem-solvers who work well in a fast-paced environment.
What you’ll do:
- Draft, negotiate, review and interpret a wide variety of commercial agreements, including enterprise contracts that drive the company’s revenues, strategic agreements, vendor contracts and other agreements to support the business, ensuring both business and legal objectives are met
- Research, monitor and provide practical legal analysis, strategy and advice to internal clients regarding consumer protection and other laws and regulations affecting the Company’s business, including privacy, advertising, data security and other matters; assist clients in implementing advice
- Help standardize templates, processes and legal guidance to improve efficiency of legal services to the business
- Develop and deliver training on legal issues and contract processes
- Provide practical guidance to cross-functional teams that balances business objectives and legal risk
- 5+ years of legal experience, with preferably 2+ years in-house at a high-growth B2C and B2B company
- Excellent negotiating, drafting and influencing skills, with a skill for non-confrontational, solutions-oriented negotiations
- Knowledge of consumer protection laws and regulations, including privacy, online and offline advertising and data security preferred
- Strong business acumen and are a practical and proactive problem-solver with a talent for driving creative solutions that mitigate legal and business risk while supporting business growth in a compliant fashion
- Proven ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities and pivot between responsibilities in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- A desire for close collaboration with internal clients, including sales and sales support to close deals efficiently and with a practical approach
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to distill and communicate complex issues clearly and effectively across all levels of the organization
- An eagerness and willingness to give and receive feedback, because we all love learning from each other
- JD degree from reputable law school and admission to the Massachusetts Bar
What you’ll get from us:
Importantly, you’ll get a tremendous amount of authority and autonomy. You’ll own your outcomes and see measurable results for your efforts. With ezCater’s radical transparency and trust, you’ll have open access to the data that drives our decisions. You'll have a coaching environment to learn and develop, and ezUniversity sessions will provide plenty of opportunities to expand your mind.
At the same time, you’ll get sane working hours and a huge amount of flexibility around work/life balance. Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and here’s what else you’ll get: Market salary, stock options you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, subsidized T-passes, a great office in the heart of Boston, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies), and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.