Corporate Counsel - Regulatory
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
Corporate Counsel - Regulatory
CarGurus seeks an attorney to join our growing legal team and to focus on the Company’s regulated activities.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with our product, engineering and business development teams to expand our product suite
- Negotiate commercial agreements with strategic partners, particularly relating to regulated offerings
- Address regulatory issues and compliance policies and procedures
- Handle US and EU data protection and privacy matters
- Deal with intellectual property issues
- Provide support in a wide array of practice areas and special projects as needed
Who You Are:
- A minimum of 5 years major law firm legal experience
- Excellent academic and law firm credentials required
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice in Massachusetts or other U.S. state
- Skilled at providing practical legal and business advice regarding a wide variety of issues
- Track record of working as a “team player” within a legal group to support departmental and company success
- Experience addressing legal issues relating to regulated products, with experience relating to automotive, insurance, financing and/or data protection matters preferred
- Previous in-house experience with technology or automotive industry preferred
- Ability to quickly and effectively prioritize, review and negotiate agreements in the context of business circumstances, and to provide advice that recognizes and integrates legal risk, business objectives and scale
- Strong research/drafting abilities and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals from multiple departments and disciplines at all levels of the organization in a dynamic environment
- Experience managing outside counsel preferred
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Interns are paid. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.