Corporate Counsel, FinTech and Employee Cloud at Toast
Toast offers a variety of products and services to assist its constantly growing base of restaurant customers with their unique financial and team management needs. Through its Toast Capital and Customer Finance business lines, Toast designs, markets, and provides operational support for innovative financial products to provide restaurants with access to capital and hardware/software financing. In July 2019, Toast acquired StratEx, a leading provider of HR and payroll software, and launched its Employee Cloud business line, which provides payroll processing and many other employee management products and services. Integrating FinTech and Employee Cloud into its existing suite of services has helped Toast provide its customers with a one-stop shop to address all of their operational considerations. Integrating FinTech and Employee Cloud into its existing suite of services has helped Toast offer a one-stop shop for restaurants to address all of their operational needs.
Toast, Inc. is hiring a Corporate Counsel to assist with the day-to-day general corporate legal needs of its FinTech and Employee Cloud business lines. As Corporate Counsel, you will analyze and advise Toast and its subsidiaries on legal, compliance, and financial regulatory matters, inform the development of new financial products, and support the company's rapid growth through drafting and negotiating contracts with vendors and customers. This position reports to Toast's Lead Counsel, FinTech and Employee Cloud.
What you will do:
- Research, analyze, and advise business units on complex legal and compliance matters related to new and existing products and services, contract terms, and regulatory interpretation
- Review multi-channel advertising materials for compliance with federal and state laws and best practices
- Draft, review, update, and negotiate foundational documents for products and services (e.g., customer agreements, terms of service, etc.) as well as vendor contracts
- Assist with strategic initiatives from a compliance and risk perspective, including opportunities to integrate FinTech and Employee Cloud products and services
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact FinTech and Employee Cloud business lines, and assist with operationalizing and implementing compliant solutions
- Independently and proactively execute critical tasks necessary to mitigate risk and maintain compliant products and services
- Work closely with other members of Toast's in-house Legal and Compliance team to leverage internal subject matter expertise on product, payments, labor and employment, intellectual property, privacy, and cybersecurity, and integrate input into FinTech and Employee Cloud solutions
Do you have the right ingredients?
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar
- At least 5-7 years of experience either in-house at a FinTech company or at a law firm, preferably with exposure to the FinTech industry. Exposure to employment/labor law, banking law, money transmitter laws, or payments industry helpful but not required
- Strong drafting skills (contracts, memoranda, etc.) with an extra emphasis on attention to detail
- Knowledge of state and federal laws related to marketing, including FTC Act (and UDAP analysis), TCPA, and CAN-SPAM
- Ability to analyze risks, evaluate legal issues, and provide concise written advice to a business (i.e., non-legal) audience
- Comfortable in a rapid-paced working environment with quick turnaround times
- Inquisitive and independent self-starter who is enthusiastic about learning new things and growing in the role and as an attorney
- High ethical standards, team-focused, positive attitude, and good sense of humor
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of people in a diverse and accepting environment. Embodies our "no ego" philosophy while working opposite a new hire, seasoned co-worker, or junior colleagues.