Contract Specialist at Panorama Education
Panorama Education, based in Boston, is a fast-growing technology startup focused on radically improving education. With research-backed surveys and an industry-leading technology platform, Panorama helps school systems gather important stakeholder feedback and act on data to improve student outcomes. Today, we support more than 10 million students in 11,500 schools across 48 states, including those in the states of Iowa, Hawaii, and the districts of New York City, Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, and more.
Panorama helps educators monitor how students are doing across academics, attendance, behavior, and then coordinate action to support each child. Panorama also collects data that is key to each child’s success in school and life, such as social-emotional skills, safety, sense of belonging, teacher-student relationships, and family engagement. Panorama has raised $45 million from Emerson Collective, YCombinator, Spark Capital, Owl Ventures, Uncork, and others.
About the Role:
We are looking for a contract specialist to join our sales operations team. The contract specialist will streamline, oversee, and manage the completion of hundreds of client contracts and data sharing agreements each year for Panorama. You will perform a range of duties including negotiating contract terms, liaising with cross-functional teams, and researching current regulations.
The contract specialist should have experience drafting and editing contracts and demonstrate excellent attention to detail. In addition to being an excellent communicator, the contract specialist should also possess in-depth knowledge of procurement regulations, contract agreements, and legal terminology. This role is currently remote through July 2021 and will then be based in the Boston office.
- Review contract terms and conditions to verify that they are in compliance with company policies and all applicable federal and state regulations
- Review and sign Panorama’s standard contracts and data sharing agreements with clients within 24 hours
- Negotiate changes to contract terms and conditions and data sharing agreements, as needed
- Parse through legal language and partner with company counsel to evaluate risks for the company
- Compare contracts to Salesforce to ensure data accuracy; identify common mistakes and propose solutions/training for applicable teams
- Make decisions about certain contract terms and obtain stakeholder/leadership approval where necessary
- Develop best practices for handling non-standard requests to increase long term efficiency
- Improve Panorama’s process for managing and tracking a high volume of contracts and data sharing agreements
- Liaise with Panorama’s leadership, finance, engineering, sales, client success, and people teams to ensure company compliance with federal, state, and international privacy and security laws
- Research regulations to guarantee contracts are updated and in compliance with laws
- Provide technical assistance and resources to sales reps working on vendor registration forms
- Request certificates of insurance (COIs) from our insurance provider for clients
- Manage cooperative purchasing relationships, documentation, and compliance
What We’re Looking For:
- Someone with experience in reviewing legal contracts or data sharing agreements
- Knowledge of procurement regulations and FERPA (or similar laws like GDPR)
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast and demanding work environment
- Ability to multitask on a daily basis, especially when presented with changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to collaborate effectively with with teammates cross-functionally
- Ability to identify, analyze, and suggest solutions for inefficiencies in our contracting processes
- Ability to clearly explain contract terminology and proposed changes to clients and internal staff in simple, everyday language
- Demonstrated experience being highly responsive, maintaining a client service-oriented attitude, and promptly communicating
- Understanding of intellectual property, licensing, SaaS, privacy and other legal matters that arise in connection with commercial transactions
- Willingness to work virtually or in an office setting
- 2+ years of legal or paralegal experience, preferably working directly with contract law, and/or any relevant certifications
- K12 Education or ed-tech experience
- Experience using Salesforce, Google Suite, and task management tools