Toast is looking for its first Compliance Officer to lead and grow an established regulatory and compliance program at one of the country’s fastest growing tech and financial services companies. The Compliance Officer will be responsible for ensuring Toast complies with the relevant rules and best practices in the industries and jurisdictions where we do business.
The Compliance Officer will be a self-starter and effective leader with experience driving change across multiple product lines and clearly communicating that program to internal and external audiences. The ideal individual will come to Toast with broad knowledge across key domains: payments, banking/lending, audit and assurance, and general corporate governance.
This individual will report into the General Counsel and lead a team of compliance professionals.
What you will do:
- Continue to develop and hone the compliance program to ensure the success of Toast and our customers during a high-growth period and beyond
- Maintain policy and procedure documents and appropriate training or educational channels to foster a culture of compliance; perform ongoing risk assessments and testing of these standards to ensure adherence and accuracy in practice
- Partner with internal teams to develop creative solutions and/or process improvements to ensure new and existing products comply with applicable laws and regulations
- Serve as a subject matter expert for compliance-related matters, which includes participating in special projects, providing technical support to other departments, and assisting sales with RFPs and escalated customer inquiries.
- Stay abreast of new or changing laws and regulations; translate their impact into clear tasks for the company.
- Oversee risk-based internal audits to include SOC1/2, IT Audit, BSA/AML and assists with external audits by bank partners, investors, and other third parties
- Identify opportunities and solutions to automate and/or further scale the compliance program in line with the company’s growth
- Participate in the testing and validation of newly implemented or changing proprietary and third-party systems and technologies.
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Plans for the future while meeting today’s needs. Develops, communicates, and executes against a compliance roadmap to address evolving business needs
- Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions, uses a risk-based approach to effectively influence stakeholders on regulatory and compliance needs
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in a senior compliance role at a technology company
- Familiarity with applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards (FCPA, BSA/PATRIOT Act, PCI, InfoSec, payments, MSB/MTL)
- Experience leading regulatory examinations and independent audits
- Ability to build, mentor, and lead teams in a high-growth environment
- Effectively collaborates with a wide range of people in a diverse and accepting environment. Embodies our “no ego” philosophy while working opposite a new hire, seasoned coworker or junior colleagues
- High ethical standards and a team-focused, positive attitude
- J.D. and comparable industry experience accepted.
- Frequent communication and interaction with other members of the Legal department, Product and Engineering, IT Security and senior leadership teams
- As-needed communication with external parties, banking partners, regulators, etc.