• J.D. or LLM in the United States; Minimum of thee years experience in an in-house position and/or firm corporate law practice;
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
• Experience in reviewing and navigating complex corporate and regulatory requirements, and with financial technology and or financial services compliance.
About the job
Hopper is seeking an attorney to join its growing legal team as Associate Counsel. This attorney will be primarily responsible for all of Hopper’s global legal needs related to employment law, employment compliance obligations, and immigration requirements in all jurisdictions where Hopper operates (presently the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Bulgaria, Colombia, and the Philippines). Areas of focus will include employment contracting, internal employment and benefits policies, training, payroll compliance, immigration policies and filings, and necessary government filings in each jurisdiction.
The Associate Counsel will report to Hopper’s General Counsel. The right lawyer will be a self-starter, quick learner, strategic and collaborative thinker, and creative builder. Applicants should have demonstrated excellence in working with rapidly changing business requirements and priorities in a fast-paced environment. As a trusted advisor to Hopper’s senior leadership, you must demonstrate the highest ethical and moral standards.
Being a leader on a small legal team will require you to interact frequently and work collaboratively and creatively with Hopper business unit leaders and outside counsel globally to explain and navigate complex and often undefined legal requirements.
- Primary responsibilities: Legal, contracting, compliance, and regulatory obligations related to employment and immigration in all global markets. Selecting and managing outside counsel as needed.
- Secondary responsibilities: Working closely with Hopper’s General Counsel on all issues affecting Hopper’s business globally, including corporate governance, data privacy and security, contracting, tax, corporate financing, corporate development.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.