Software Engineering Co-op (Spring 2020)
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston (and we’re profitable). Millions of readers use BookBub every day to find great books, and our service empowers thousands of leading publishers and authors to drive sales and find new fans. We’re expanding our team to address the challenges and opportunities of the publishing industry while continuing to help readers find books and authors they’ll love. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
Our co-op program
You'll join us for a full-time, competitively paid co-op at our office in Kendall Square for about six months in the first half of 2020.
You'll work with a small team of engineers to implement real features used by our readers, authors, and publishers. You'll take on big challenges and collaborate across the company to ship complete, end-to-end solutions.
Our engineering philosophy
We organize into small cross-functional teams that are deeply focused on one product or initiative. Teams are empowered to make product and technology decisions and quickly build the best solutions for our readers, publishers, and authors. We lean heavily on automation, good test coverage, and continuous deployment to ensure we’re constantly getting rapid feedback from our users, and follow the approach of starting small, shipping often, and deferring unnecessary complexity. We believe that we build better products when our teammates have a variety of perspectives and experiences, so we care a lot about creating a supportive and inclusive environment.
During your co-op, you will:
- Receive one-on-one mentorship and training from experienced engineers who are dedicated to helping you grow quickly
- Learn the tools we use, and deepen your understanding if you already know them: Rails, React.js, Clojure, Postgres, Redis, AWS, Docker, and more
- Engage in many deep technical discussions with friendly and talented engineers
- Ship code to production almost every day via our continuous deployment pipeline
- Use automated tests and monitoring to ensure code works as expected and runs correctly in production
- Work on high-scale systems used by millions of people
- Complete your co-op with the skills and experience to be a professional software engineer at a top-tier tech company
Who we're looking for:
- You're pursuing an undergraduate degree in computer science or a related field, with anticipated graduation in 2021 or 2022
- You're available to work in person at our office in Cambridge, MA for six months at the beginning of 2020 (typically January-June timeline)
- You've had at least one previous coop or internship developing software with a team
- You're comfortable working in at least one general-purpose programming language
- You've had experience working in at least one general-purpose programming language
- You enjoy collaborating with others on shared goals
- You're an effective communicator, both in writing and in person
- You're able to break complex problems into manageable pieces and efficiently assemble solutions
Your interview experience
Our goal is to create an environment where you can interview at your best. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know at [email protected] All requests are treated as privately as possible and have no impact on candidate eligibility.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.