Research & Scientific Insights Co-op at Indigo
Research & Scientific Insights Co-op
Please Submit applications by 6am on Tuesday, October 15th, 2019.
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice. The company, founded by Flagship Pioneering, is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
The Research and Scientific Insights Co-Op will work with a small group of Scientists and Research Associates to help develop Indigo’s next generation of microbial products, focused on boosting plant growth in agricultural systems. This is an opportunity to develop a range of technical skills, including microbial isolation and characterization, plant phenotyping, and data analysis, and to gain experience in a fast-paced biotech startup environment. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to support ongoing research as well as to develop an independent project that aligns with the both the team’s and the individual’s goals.
- Maintain microbial cultures and prepare for plant inoculation
- Work as a member of a team to prepare, plant, maintain and harvest growth chamber experiments
- Isolate and identify microbes from plant tissues
- Accurately record sample data, metadata, and assay results and summarize conclusions
- Clearly communicate observations and data in a timely manner
- Understand and embody our purpose & core values
- Excited by Indigo’s mission; believes that Indigo can fundamentally change the agriculture industry; can clearly articulate passion for our mission and values
- Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Will be widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making decisions. Specifically:
- Demonstrates a track record of high integrity - doing the right thing, owning mistakes, conducting oneself honestly
- Values, communicates and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect
- Collaborates well across functions; creates an inspiring and collegial work environment
- A passion for food, sustainable agriculture
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (ie. biology, plant biology, microbiology, ecology, agronomy, or similar)
- Hands on experience in microbiology and familiarity with basic molecular biology techniques (nucleic acid extractions, PCR, etc.)
- Familiarity with aseptic technique required.
- Experience with growth chambers, greenhouses, and/or field ecology preferred
- Basic computer skills, working with MS Office
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Alignment with Indigo’s mission and core values
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.