Ph.D. Intern, Data Sciences at Indigo
Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health through the use of natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. http://www.indigoag.com/
The R&D Data Sciences team at Indigo uses techniques of data science and modern machine learning to understand microbes and predict where, why and how they will be effective in helping plants grow. We are looking for a motivated doctoral student with experience in bioinformatics and analyzing large-scale biological datasets for a summer internship with our team. Broadly, the intern will apply comparative genomics techniques as well as a variety of supervised and unsupervised machine learning approaches to better understand and gain value from genomic and laboratory assay data. Internship salary is generous, and past internships have resulted in conference presentations and manuscripts.
- Prototype and evaluate analyses of metagenomic data and integrate with single-organism genomic data.
- Apply methods from machine learning and comparative genomics to test associations between genomic features and laboratory assay data.
- Produce well-documented, reproducible code for analyzing datasets.
- Current Ph.D .student in computational biology / bioinformatics, physics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, or similar quantitative discipline, or biology-related field with quantitative experience
- Experience with quantitative analysis of biological data
- Experience coding in Python, R or other programming language, comfort working with UNIX command line
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate results effectively to diverse audiences