Mechanical Engineering Intern
At Markforged, we are on a mission to unlock the next 10x of innovation in design and manufacturing. We build an Industrial 3D Printing Platform to liberate designers and engineers from decades-old, slow part creation processes. NASA, Google, Ford, Amazon, Siemens and thousands of companies in 50 countries use Markforged to print same-day prototypes and produce stronger end-use parts than they did before. With Markforged, customers are able to ship 50X faster, spend 20X less, and build products that are 23X stronger.
The hardware engineering team is responsible for designing, prototyping, testing and documenting new products for Markforged.You will work together with members of the hardware team to support the development & testing of existing and new products.
Previous intern projects have included:Designing diagnostic parts & procedures that enabled customers to identify & correct print quality issuesBuilding test fixtures to perform long term life testing of critical printer componentsDesigning, fabricating & assembling prototypes of new printer components
In this role you will:
- Design and build test equipment & fixtures that meet technical requirements
- Develop, document & execute test plans to validate printer and material performance
- Conduct experiments methodically, analyze data, and interpret results
- Create & document printed parts & procedures to evaluate & improve print quality
- Document all work using tools such as Confluence, JIRA and Google Docs
What we look for:
- Education - you should be working towards at least a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering or similar engineering field.
- You should be able to use 3D CAD software (Solidworks preferred)
- You should be familiar with basic fabrication techniques for metal and plastic, including drilling, cutting, milling and turning
- Experience using 3D printers is desirable
- Familiarity with basic electrical engineering and software development principles
- Basic knowledge of electro-mechanical actuators & sensors including motors, thermocouples and strain gauges
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence, and Matlab/Simulink is a plus
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning, data-driven decision making, and prioritization
- We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up
- We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description