MBA Business Development Intern: Summer 2022 at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
The Partnerships Team is responsible for the end-to-end development and deployment of Toast’s partnership strategy. This includes working closely with our product and sales teams to develop strategy, scoping potential partnerships and negotiating contracts, developing relationships with external and internal parties, and executing the deployment and ongoing growth of mutually beneficial partnerships across a cross-functional team. The team manages Toast’s broad portfolio of Channel (lead-gen) and product-focused Integration partners.
We are looking for an MBA Intern who will work closely with the Partnerships Team members to grow our impact on Toast. The successful candidate will have experience in analyzing technology landscapes, structuring complex business partnerships, and/or working with cross-functional teams to launch partnerships. You’ll be comfortable dealing with uncertainty, and be able to put structure to complex, unstructured product problems. The position will report to a senior member of the Partnerships Team.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Develop and execute on Business Development strategy and tactics across Toast and its key products, including our fast-growing platform
- Develop partner relationships end-to-end, from initial scoping to negotiations, launch, and scale
- Monitor, analyze, and report on goals and key performance indicators (KPIs), ensuring Toast and partner expectations are met
- Work with cross-functional teams across Product, Marketing, Sales, and Finance to identify and engage partners that enhance Toast product functionality and distribution
- Analyze potential markets to assess areas where Toast should prioritize new partnerships, and assess strengths and weaknesses of various companies within those sectors
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience in partnerships/business development at a technology company, and/or management consulting or investment banking experience
- Proven ability to develop deep external / internal relationships and leverage them to scale partnerships
- Experience negotiating deals of various sizes and complexity
- Strong analytical skills - able to evaluate opportunities from strategic, brand, financial, and operational perspectives
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to think and communicate creatively and thoughtfully, with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment / under minimal guidance
- BA/BS required, currently enrolled in and pursuing an MBA.
Special Sauce* (Nonessential Skills/Nice to Haves)
- Experience with partner marketplaces
- Experience with SaaS and / or Fintech products
- Technical proficiency (e.g. computer programming, familiarity with APIs, etc.)
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.