Payroll Specialist at Indigo
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, rice, corn, and soybeans. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN. www.indigoag.com
The Payroll Specialist will assist in processing the Company’s payroll and payroll related accounting activities. This role requires a passion for processes and organization, as well as the desire to have a positive impact on our fast-growing workforce. This role will be based in Boston and will report to the Director of Payroll Operations in Boston.
- Assist in payroll processing for hourly and salaried employees ensuring payrolls are completed on-time and error-free.
- Prepare and post timely accounting entries for payroll, taxes, commissions, bonus, etc.
- Prepare monthly payroll reconciliations, including all required support for annual and quarterly financial statement audits.
- Assist in year-end procedures including management of 3rd party vendor for generation of W2s and other monthly, quarterly and annual required tax compliance.
- Provide support for various financial, state and insurance audits.
- Provides exceptional customer support so that employees view the Finance team as helpful and responsive, our people never complain about payroll, and payroll questions are answered quickly and accurately
- Partner with the Finance and People teams to develop and maintain Indigo’s “hire to retire” process
- Ensures appropriate controls are in place and working effectively around hiring, paying, and terminating employees
- Understand and embody our purpose & core values
- Extremely organized with strong attention to detail
- Highly trustworthy and able to handle confidential material
- Works well cross-functionally in a collaborative manner
- Rolls up sleeves and digs into the work to get things done
- Comfortable flagging items outside of policies; persistent when it comes to following up
- Highly process-oriented
- Team player who is open to creative ideas and doesn’t just fall back on doing what’s always been done
- Positive, can-do attitude with exceptional customer service
- Passionate about Indigo’s mission and core values
- Pro-active ownership in work and takes extreme pride in their work product
- 1-5+ years of payroll processing experience, with at least 2 consecutive years of payroll at the same company
- Intermidate excel and word skills
- Some knowledge of state and federal tax laws and implications on payroll
- Working knowledge of payroll/HR governance regulations, policies, etc.
- Experience with Workday preferred
- Experience with ADP Workforce preferred