Tax Manager at Markforged (Watertown, MA)
The Tax Manager will be an integral part of the finance organization and will partner closely with the business on a wide range of tax matters. This position will be responsible for corporate income and indirect taxation compliance, accurate quarterly reporting, transfer pricing analysis, special projects implementation and tax technology innovations. As a well-rounded tax professional, your role will provide insightful and practical advice to help the business and senior management make strategic and tactical decisions for our company.
- Prepare/review the quarterly and annual tax accounting and financial reporting (ASC 740), including accurate and timely tax accounting disclosures and working with external auditors to provide supporting documentation, as requested.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly tax account reconciliations.
- Coordinate, review and approve the preparation of outsourced US federal and state as well as international tax filings, returns and payments.
- Perform research on various tax issues including US federal and state as well as international tax.
- Support US federal and state as well as international tax audits and exams by preparing/reviewing responses and appropriate analysis.
- Complete various analyses throughout the year to assist with the annual budgeting and forecasting process.
- Review transfer pricing analysis and calculations and maintain transfer pricing documentation.
- Lead, manage, organize and assist with the annual R&D tax credit study including coordination with outside advisors/consultants and internal teams such as engineering and R&D.
- Manage, prepare, and file other non-income tax related statutory compliance, filings and returns, such as franchise taxes.
- Stay current with tax-related accounting pronouncements and US federal and state as well as international tax legislative changes.
- Analyze tax information and consider tax impacts, implications and strategies related to mergers and acquisitions.
- Recommend US federal and state as well as international tax strategies.
- Manage income, sales, use, VAT compliance.
- Monitor and manage state and local tax nexus and global permanent establishment.
- Manage sales and use tax system and related compliance, filings and returns.
- Develop and maintain relationships throughout the finance organization and cross-functionally to increase understanding of the business and potential impacts on tax compliance and strategy.
- Prepare ad hoc analyses, and assist, lead and/or manage with special tax projects including coordination with internal teams and outside advisors/consultants as needed.
- Continuously look for opportunities to improve existing processes and procedures to support the team
- Stay current on latest technology developments to improve and automate tax processes
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance and/or Tax.
- CPA, MSA and/or MST.
- 6+ years of tax experience within a public accounting firm and/or multinational company.
- Experience with international tax, VAT, and sales and use tax.
- Strong knowledge of ASC 740 accounting for income taxes, including stock-based compensation, valuation allowance analysis, and uncertain tax positions.
- Extensive US federal and state tax compliance experience.
- Broad corporate income tax experience including, but not limited to, R&D credit, state and local tax nexus, global permanent establishment and transfer pricing.
- Highly organized, detailed and process-oriented person that can develop and hold to specific project plans and timelines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Collaborative team player with high standards and ethics.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment and manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and make judgment-based decisions with a good sense for when escalation and additional communication may be necessary.
- Independent, self-starter willing to think outside of the box and influence change, and to be proactive in implementing process improvements.
- Desire to work in a high growth, fast-paced, and constantly evolving environment.
- We use Apple computers and Google collaboration tools. While experience with these tools is not required, the ideal candidate will be excited to broaden their knowledge and embrace change.