Strategic Finance Consultant at MassMutual
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritizing their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
We’re looking to hire a Strategic Finance Consultant to join our Strategic Finance Business Partner team primarily supporting our ETX (Enterprise Technology Experience) group.
Why we need you.
We’re growing and our clients deserve the best. As a Strategic Finance Consultant, you’ll have an opportunity to contribute to helping our businesses grow and become more profitable. You will learn about our businesses’ corporate support activities, challenges and priorities and use that information to help drive decision-making. You will partner across Finance to understand the financials, leveraging data platforms to identify key information that will help tell the story. You will provide support to CFO customers on performance, opportunities for cost efficiencies, benchmarking comparisons, sales, profitability and results and considerations for decision-making. You will contribute to engagement for change, innovation and value creation.
In this role, as well as all roles within MassMutual, you will demonstrate accountability, agility, a dedication to be inclusive, strong business acumen, and will show courage, even in the most difficult situations. Effective communication skills will be key to successful relationship-building and articulating the reasoning and bases for your recommendations and conclusions. You will demonstrate an inquisitive approach, asking probing questions to identify issues with specificity.
What success looks like.
- Contribute to initiatives to increase efficiency and add value, using benchmark information and other information and analyses.
- Contribute to commentary explaining results for quarter-end closes and full-year forecasts. Ensure that forecasts appropriately reflect the risks inherent in significant strategic spend, including the level and timing of expected benefits.
- Use understanding of ETX activities and expense structure to facilitate monthly review of spend versus plan and forecast, coordinating with the FP&A Expense Team, including monitoring the achievement of expected benefits.
- Demonstrate agility by providing support to some of the corporate or business units as needed.
- Exercise stewardship of spend to ensure that MassMutual obtains significant value. Coverpath is expected to significantly reduce underwriting and maintenance costs.
- Key competencies for success include business acumen, agility, communication, accountability.
What your days and weeks will include.
- Review initiative assumptions and cost-benefit analyses to contribute to decision making, including prioritization, in order to pursue the most beneficial initiatives and maximize benefits.
- Analyze, develop and communicate the story behind the ETX results, drivers, standard ratios, unit costs, other metrics, etc.
- Analyze expense trends and productivity, collaborating with peers, the FP&A Expense Team and CFO customers.
- This work will include significant interaction with senior ETX personnel and substantial independent work on high-priority strategic initiatives.
- Deepen knowledge of ETX functions, including: core technology infrastructure, digital experience, data science, Haven Life, underwriting and the Coverpath platform.
- Build familiarity with business channels and of corporate units.
- Use strong business acumen and communication skills to draft and contribute to commentary which enables readers to quickly understand how performance is impacting financial results.
- Use communication and collaboration skills to support the implementation of the SFBP target operating model, including tailoring change management efforts to CFO customer needs.
The knowledge and skills needed for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in large, sophisticated corporate environment providing financial support on financial technology related matters.
- Preferred experience working with and supporting several corporate units.
- Experience using data and information to analyze and communicate (in writing, orally and visually) the implications of corporate unit activity, ideally leveraging business intelligence applications (Tableau, Microstrategy, etc.) and ERP tools (SAP, Hyperion, NetSuite, etc.).
- Intellectual curiosity to continue learning and adding breadth and depth to understanding.
- Ability to partner with and influence business leaders and peers in using financial information and tools to identify options and make decisions.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States, without requiring sponsorship, both now and in the future.