Senior Technical Accountant at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
The Senior Technical Accountant will be a critical member of the accounting team. This role will draft CarGurus’ accounting policies, procedures, and positions on a range of accounting topics, including the implementation and compliance with new accounting standards. This role will have significant interaction with the business and members of the accounting and FP&A teams. The individual must demonstrate a strong ability to interpret and apply accounting principles. The individual also must be able to clearly communicate sophisticated technical accounting matters to various audiences including that outside of finance.What You'll Do:
- Maintain and update technical accounting positions memos and detail new positions memos
- Assess the impact of new and proposed accounting pronouncements and standards to ensure compliance with SEC and GAAP reporting requirements
- Perform technical accounting research on mergers and acquisitions including purchase price allocations and goodwill impairment
- Support the integration and consolidation of acquired entities into the consolidated financial statements
- Assist in drafting portions of Form 10-Q and 10-K disclosures
- Research SEC filings including reviewing disclosure checklist for Form 10-Q and 10-K
- Account for website development costs including evaluating projects for capitalization and monitoring for impairment
- Assist with the successful completion of the year-end audit and quarterly review
- Provide accounting support for special ad-hoc projects as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Approximately 2+ years of experience in public accounting or mix of public accounting and public company work experience. CPA required
- Big 4 public accounting experience highly preferred
- Technology/SAAS experience highly preferred
- Ability to clearly and concisely document and effectively communicate sophisticated accounting and reporting issues to finance and non-finance personnel (i.e. can communicate technical accounting matters in 'plain English')
- Excel at project management including the ability to establish and consistently meet deadlines
- Motivated standout colleague with the ability to work in a fast-paced, forward-moving environment
- Ability to learn and understand financial accounting systems/software: NetSuite, Zuora, and/or SalesForce software experience a plus
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.