Senior Accountant at Perch
Perch is creating the next generation Consumer Products company by becoming the first technology-based scale operator of top eCommerce microbrands. Microbrands selling through marketplaces like Amazon are already transforming global retail - Amazon’s 3rd party marketplace alone was $300B in 2020. Perch is disrupting and accelerating this space by acquiring great brands and making them even better. We look for successful, profitable businesses that sell top-ranked products with differentiated customer feedback. The Perch platform integrates those businesses into a scale operating company and accelerates the products to the next level of sales and profitability. We are a key resource for entrepreneurs who want liquidity and a key partner for Amazon and other retail channels by offering exceptional products, great customer service, and great value.
Central to our growth ambition is the ability to rapidly build the Perch platform to develop scalable finance reporting infrastructure that provides transparency for all stakeholders and partners within the organization to drive change. We are looking for a talented Senior Accountant to contribute to the development of the world-class finance function that supports the organization's long-term objectives.Responsibilities
Reporting to the Sr. Accounting Manager, this position is responsible for executing general accounting and reconciliations for the month end close process. This role will work closely with the accounting and finance team and contribute in several ways, including:
- Act as a key member of the finance team in the preparation of the monthly close and related reporting requirements
- Perform research and prepare documentation for non-routine transactions and complex accounting topics to conclude on appropriate reporting and presentation
- Develop and maintain calculations and reconciliations for complex accounting areas including but not limited to acquisition accounting, intangibles & impairment, stock comp, equity etc.
- Perform assessments of the current accounting operations and develop processes and solutions
- Involvement in other accounting areas such as revenue, AR, inventory, COGS, accruals, prepaids etc.
- Perform other daily accounting and operational responsibilities including preparation of entries
- Actively engage with the business to review and support business initiatives
- Develop and maintain policies, systems and procedures as well as reviews contracts to ensure that inventory is recorded in compliance with GAAP and with considerations of SOX internal controls.
- Assist and be part of the ERP implementation
- Initiate or coordinate the completion of special projects
- Assist with the preparation and analysis of financial reporting packages
- Fulfill requests for the annual audit cycle
- Ensure all inquiries and requests are answered in a timely manner
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated professional to join and help build our accounting function. The ideal candidate will have experience dealing with ambiguity and starting from scratch (whether in an entrepreneurial environment or building new things within a larger organization). They will be motivated by an opportunity to break the mold and ride the edge between speed and scalability.
Key attributes and skills:
- Strong understanding of accounting principles and procedures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Proven ability to take initiative and be proactive
- Ability to navigate into an exciting, but uncertain start up environment
- Able to manage to themselves to deadlines
- Excel in a fast-paced environment with a willingness to take on new challenges
- Ability to confidently use technology and systems
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field
- 5+ years of accounting experience
- CPA or equivalent qualification preferred
- Experience with US GAAP reporting required
- Public accounting experience preferred
- Proficiency in Excel required
- Prior experience in senior accounting role
- Technical knowledge and experience with complex accounting areas
Perch is one of the fastest-growing eCommerce companies in Boston. Perch acquires and develops great eCommerce brands. We are backed by amazing investors (SoftBank, Spark Capital, Tectonic Ventures, and Boston Seed). Our team has deep expertise in eCommerce, technology, and M&A. We are disrupting one of the largest and most exciting spaces of eCommerce and are building an industry-shaping platform. Our aim is to have a workplace and company that positively impacts the lives of others, including our employees, their families, the entrepreneurs and vendors we work with, and our end customers.
Perch is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.What Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Means to Us
At Perch, we are dedicated to making a positive impact on our customers, teams, partners, and the community around us.
We believe we can maximize this impact by seeking out diverse experiences and perspectives and by promoting empathy and learning through allyship. We understand diversity is an engine that powers innovation and problem-solving. Our commitment to equity and inclusion fuels us to delight our customers. We trust that our shared success will come from building an organization where people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, religions, abilities, ages, and backgrounds feel valued, celebrated, and empowered.
We know this vision requires continuous effort, and we are committed to putting in the work to ultimately reach our highest Perch.