Lead - Quantitative Risk Analytics, Investment Risk at MassMutual
In the world of financial services, it’s all about working with an established, highly respected company based on demonstrated indications of quality and performance. Who you choose to work with matters. Consider Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company.
Founded in 1851, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company is at the center of the MassMutual Financial Group, a diversified financial services organization. Key subsidiaries include OppenheimerFunds, a leading mutual fund family; Babson Capital Management and Baring Asset Management, providers of specialized global investor services; and Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers which offers real estate equities. MassMutual has a broad portfolio of products and services including life insurance, mutual funds, money management, trust services, retirement planning products, worksite, annuities, disability insurance and long-term care insurance. MassMutual products are distributed through a nationwide network of trusted and knowledgeable financial professionals who think in terms of long-term commitment to meeting individual clients’ needs. Since 1851, MassMutual has made business decisions based on customer needs. Our mutual structure, along with our long-term business approach, has helped keep us strong. This strength means we will be here when our customers need us most. Together, we help people secure their futures and protect the ones they love.
MassMutual has maintained some of the highest financial strength ratings in any industry, and is committed to maintaining a position of preeminent financial strength by achieving consistent, long-term profitable growth. In total, MassMutual's worldwide insurance in-force was $ 579 billion at the end of 2014, and assets under management were $651 billion, up 2%, reaching its highest point in history. MassMutual is ranked 94 on the 2015 Fortune 500 list and was again honored by Working Mother magazine as one of its “100 Best Companies”. DiversityInc for the fourth consecutive year, named MassMutual one of its “25 Noteworthy Companies” and for the first time as one of its “Top 10 Companies for LGBT Employees”.
This is an opportunity to join MassMutual, an organization that is committed be the best company in the industry based on superior financial strength, high dividends and delivery of a high quality customer experience. It’s about our customers – and keeping them at the center of all that we do. Seeing ourselves as our customers do: as MassMutual – One company, one culture, one brand all working toward a shared purpose…. To help people secure their future and protect the ones they love.
In conjunction with more senior staff, incumbent develops, implements, and communicates investment risk-related policies and procedures. May design or develop quantitative/analytic models to help monitor and manage market risk. Responsible for monitoring and analyzing the organization's investment risk exposure on both a day-to-day and long- term basis.
Core to this vision is Risk. We are seeking a Lead, Quantitative Risk Analytics, Investment Risk. He/she will be partnering with risk managers across MassMutual to help measure and manage enterprise risk exposures. In conjunction with other risk managers in portfolio risk management, credit risk management and other areas in ERM, he/she will perform quantitative risk analysis and development to support ERM priorities and help drive innovation.
Reports to: Head of Quantitative Risk Analytics
Other Relationships: A key to success in this position will be the ability to work collaboratively with the portfolio risk management, credit risk management, other teams in Enterprise Risk Management; portfolio managers, asset managers, analysts for the general account (through the CIOs Office) and MassMutual’s asset management subsidiaries.
As a member of the ERM investment risk team, responsibilities will include:
- Management of quantitative research and development initiatives on key investment risk issues including but not limited to investments, hedging and ALM;
- Develop risk management tools and enhance technical infrastructure to support ERM objectives and priorities
- Contribute to market and/or credit risk reporting and analysis: identifying potential risks and opportunities for the enterprise;
- Improve market risk models and risk assessment frameworks, including regular production of reports for management;
- Help prepare presentations to summarize analysis performed and make key recommendations
- Develop, in cooperation with portfolio managers and analysts, monitoring capabilities of key risk indicators and trends for market and/or credit risk assessment;
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in quantitative analysis, investment risk management & hedging;
- Deep understanding of derivatives, hedging and quantitative management and experience working in risk management; familiarity with FX a plus;
- Extensive experience in modeling and performing detailed risk analysis of different types of assets classes;
- An advanced degree in Financial Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or similar quantitative discipline preferred;
- CFA or FRM preferred;
- Understanding of the insurance industry is desirable;
- Well established record of project management;
- Success working in collaborative team environment with matrix management;
- Strong executive communication and presentation skills; and,
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
Critical Thinking Focuses on important information without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail. Critically and logically evaluates the cost, risks and benefits of alternatives before coming to a solution. Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues. Approaches problems holistically; defines connections, linkages, interdependencies and develops solutions.
Drives Results Monitors progress of others and redirects efforts when goals change or are not met. Holds people accountable for achieving their goals. Ensures that others have the resources, information, authority and support needed to achieve objectives.
Decision Making Recognizes the broad, systemic implications of problems and issues. Makes quick decisions in high stake situations, crises, or conditions of uncertainly. Takes responsibility for communicating and implementing decisions.
Influence Cultivates networks through the organization to garner support and create a foundation for influence. Negotiate persuasively to create win-win solutions for all parties. Projects self-assurance and confidence without arrogance
Communication Successfully delivers difficult and/or complex messages. Delivers compelling presentations, particularly under significant challenges, Communicates in a confident style; adapts and changes tactics to help others understand multiple points of view.
- Focus on the Customer – Know your customers well; add value with a level of urgency.
- Act with Integrity- Adhere to a strict code of ethics and MassMutual Values; be trustworthy.
- Value People – Lead people to success; appreciate diverse ideas and experiences.
- Work Collaboratively – Partner with others to achieve results that leverage the right resources.
- Achieve Results – Focus on winning; consistently exceed expectations.
We pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).