Impact Investing Associate at MassMutual
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
Why we need you
We’re growing and our clients deserve the best. One way is through our Impact Investing efforts. We are building a dynamic Impact Investing program that invests in best in class Impact Fund managers and make direct investments in small & medium companies in Massachusetts across a number of areas including technology, sustainability and companies that are majority minority owned and managed. As a Impact Investment Associate on this team, you will have an opportunity to analyze and invest for MassMutual.
Objectives of the role
- Strategize and support activities to design Impact-linked investments.
- Assist in implementing the impact strategy in both funds and direct early stage investments.
- Support all investment segments, including the development of a systematic approach to integrating our Environmental Social Governance (ESG) and Impact Investing strategies.
- Manage process of closing new direct investments.
- Develop external partnerships with industry collaborations, and more in order to further practice and participate in field-building.
- Provide thought leadership in the field of impact investing across private markets.
- Aid portfolio manager in all aspects of the investment sourcing, underwriting and diligence process for primary fund investments and direct investments.
- Perform ongoing monitoring, analysis and reporting of investments as well as the aggregate portfolio.
- Conduct market and industry research and be informed about current and developing sector trends as well as support firm wide initiatives.
- Assist in firmwide ESG and Impact integration and reporting.
- Partner closely with stakeholders across Investment Management and most corporate functions
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated experience in private equity, venture capital, investment banking, or management consulting.
- Proven relevant experience in ESG or impact investing, and high proficiency in impact investing, data, frameworks, reporting, and industry best practices.
- Track record underwriting Limited Partners/General Partners fund structures as well as direct/co-investments.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and other data systems.
- Ability to travel both domestically/internationally as needed once it’s safe to do so
- Master’s degree or other certification, CFA, CAIA preferred.
- Strong analytical and written/verbal communication skills, including synthesizing research and concepts into actionable insights and investor-facing deliverables in a timely manner.
- International investment experience/perspective – especially in emerging markets.
- Intellectually curious self-starter with a strong aptitude for quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Team-oriented and organized, self-motivated with the proven ability to manage multiple projects with a broad range of stakeholders to deliver results in a dynamic environment.
- Accountable, with a strong sense of ownership and attention to detail.
- High degree of professionalism, integrity, and maturity.
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical nosiness with industry leading pay and benefits
We’ve been around since 1851. During our history, we’ve helped millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection, and plan for the future.
Today, we continue to develop meaningful relationships with our customers by building their trust, being knowledge problem solvers and always prioritizing their needs. MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life.
MassMutual was recognized as an Ethisphere 2019 World’s Most Ethical Company, a Top Place to Work in 2019 according to The Boston Globe and named among America’s Best Employers for Diversity according to Forbes 2020. MassMutual ranks No. 84 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status