The Corporate Finance Data Management team, within Corporate Finance, will manage and support all significant financial applications and financial data domains used within Corporate Finance. The Head of Corporate Finance Data Management will have the opportunity to build out a small team with a background in data management and technology support for accounting and financial services companies. The team will support a broad set of financial applications including general ledger, sub-ledgers, planning, reporting and treasury tools. This team will equip Corporate Finance to meet their goals by working with their colleagues to deliver an appropriately defined set of well-maintained, accurate, and tested data and processes using a combination of vendor-managed and custom solutions.
We are looking for an experienced leader to implement effective and sustained governance and oversight of financial data domains and applications consistently with MassMutual’s enterprise standards. This leader will help drive the Corporate Finance culture of accountability, governance and democratization of data across our portfolio of financial applications. The team will deliver business value by supporting efficient financial processes with effective controls. We expect the leader to work closely with the Enterprise Technology Experience (ETX) division to ensure alignment to the firm’s overall data management strategy and framework. This leader will be a champion across Corporate Finance to build a common understanding of effective data usage leading to data-informed decisions and actions.
The Head of Corporate Finance Data Management is a leadership role that will directly manage a team of finance data domain owners and business consultants responsible for all Corporate Finance data for our Corporate Finance data lake as well as SAP and financial applications. This leader must have strong technical understanding of financial data, financial applications and software development life cycle experience from planning and analysis to build, test and deployment. The leader will enhance data governance from end to end over our financial data (e.g. build our data lineage tree). The leader should be able to build relationships with a diverse set of internal stakeholders and external vendors, while managing expectations and guiding team members towards continuous improvement.
KEY ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead implementation of effective management, governance and sustainment of financial data domains and applications consistently with MassMutual’s standards
- Establish governance for master and reference data changes
- Build a strong engagement model with Enterprise Technology and Customer Experience (ETX) organization as owners of the Financial Data Platform (Data Lake)
- Establish Corporate Finance’s operating model for applying data governance, data management and financial application support, defining and operationalizing key processes and setting SLAs with clear roles and accountability
- Partner with functional owners to create & maintain operational reporting and automated processes / tools
- Partner with and provide oversight for our strategic vendor partner team for level 1 general ledger and Treasury production support activities
- Champion a culture in Corporate Finance where employees are equipped to effectively participate in the governance of data as part of analyzing and driving decisions and action
- Work with senior leadership to identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement and publish associated delivery roadmap. Generate, plan and deliver improvements and enhancements per plan and within budget
- Ensure that all financial data has data lineage appropriately documented and is subject to appropriate governance and controls. Drive data democratization strategy
- Provide efficient & effective production support while identifying & implementing optimization and automation opportunities.
- 10+ years of data governance or financial application work experience in the Financial Services industry
- Experience developing and leading high-performing, diverse teams
- Experience managing financial data and/or financial applications teams (SAP, Alation, SQL, and BNY Mellon Eagle product experience preferred)
- Experience in a Corporate Finance function
- Experience with life insurance, annuities, disability income, and investments preferred
- Innate desire to provide excellent service to clients. Proactive and self-motivated; anticipate upcoming client projects and deliverables
- Demonstrated innovation, automation and change leadership
- Organized and detail-oriented; multi-task various responsibilities
- Excellent relationship building, influencing and communication skills
- Ability to think critically and demonstrate good judgment
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple deliverables
- Bachelor’s degree
- Business Acumen: Demonstrates understanding of financial processes and their criticality to the integrity and timeliness of financial reporting
- Critical Thinking: Critically and logically evaluates performance benefits vs. academic approach in thinking of alternatives
- Execution/Results: Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved. Makes quick decisions and is able to guide teams on effective trade-offs in decision making
- Engage and Inspire: Engage with the broader user community and build strong relationships
- Collaborate: Conducts periodic reviews with the business community and encourages feedback towards continuous improvement
- Learning: Constantly learns about industry best-practices around financial technology and adapts the strategy accordingly
- Communications: Ability to establish appropriate program governance with clear communications to stakeholders along with structured change management