Head of Advanced Financial Analytics
Financial Insights is a new team within Financial Planning and Analysis composed of professionals with diverse backgrounds in finance, consulting, technology and data analytics, among other disciplines. The Financial Insights team is responsible for unlocking insights from financial data and automating management reporting using innovative new technologies including data visualization, machine learning and natural language generation. Financial Insights aims to be a trusted partner to MassMutual’s business leaders by helping them make critical decisions using timely and insightful analysis.
The Financial Insights team is working on building cutting-edge analytical and reporting solutions that drive business value and insights by delivering visual dashboards and insights in a seamless manner to MassMutual leadership
Advanced Analytics is a core component of the Financial Insights team. The Head of Advanced Financial Analytics be responsible for establishing and managing a small team of analysts focused on answering business questions using advanced data science techniques.
This is a unique opportunity for establishing and leading an innovation focused team. We are looking for an experienced leader who has managed advanced analytical teams in the past. A high degree of intellectual curiosity and creativity are required to be successful in this position.
This individual should excel at working collaboratively and across functions with both peers and other leaders within and outside the finance function. Finally, things move very quickly at MassMutual and especially within Financial Planning and Analysis, and so this individual must be able to 'roll with it'.
Our goal is to create a team of innovative, high-performing, collaborative, and resourceful people who like to think big, test ideas, and are dedicated to their ideas to see programs through from conception to delivery. This role is based out of our Boston, MA office and will lead cross-functional teams collaborating with internal experts across Corporate Finance, Information Technology, and Business Units.
KEY ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create a Finance Data Science center of excellence to deliver insights using advanced analytical techniques
- Assess and identify opportunities to apply advanced analytics to help answer key strategic business questions
- Create business case to articulate potential benefits of changing current processes and solutions and deliver stated results
- Prioritize opportunities with senior leadership team and define solution approach and roadmap
- Apply advanced analytical techniques to solve identified business problems by assembling data sets from disparate sources and analyzing using appropriate quantitative methodologies, computational frameworks and systems
- Storyboard and share insights from analysis with leaders and other stakeholders
- Partner with data management and visual analytics teams to operationalize insights for automated delivery and ensuring continuous learning
- Hire data scientists and analysts to scale team based on demand across Corporate Finance
- Plan delivery sprints, create roadmap, estimate effort and skills required, work with senior Finance leaders to identify talent necessary for accelerated delivery
- Establish standards and include appropriate governance and quality considerations from inception
- 7+ years of total experience with 3+ years of experience designing and implementing highly visible, complex, and wide-scope analytics solutions with successful conclusions
- Experience managing data science or advanced analytics teams
- Deep knowledge and experience applying advanced analytical (Statistical, Optimization, AI/ML etc.) techniques and tools to solving business problems
- Hands on experience with modern data science platforms and frameworks (Python, R, scikit learn, Tensorflow, Keras, Spark MLLib, H20, Dataiku etc.)
- Ability to build, coach, inspire and guide cross-functional teams to successfully deliver business outcomes from data and analytics initiatives
- Strong bias for action with a continuous improvement mindset
- Change agent with successful track record driving adoption of new analytics solutions
- Ability to smoothly deliver complex projects using effective planning, pragmatic approaches, and collaboration, despite obstacles and ambiguity
- Business value focused with skills to discern potential use cases and high quality solutions, and reject low-impact technologies and methods
- Financial Services industry experience
- A Masters or PhD in finance, economics, applied mathematics, statistics, data science, or other quantitative fields
- Authorized to work in the United States with or without sponsorship
- Corporate Finance (Accounting, FP&A, Tax, Treasury, Valuation & Modeling, Procurement) exposure and familiarity with related data, reporting and analytical use cases