Director, Corporate Tax and Treasury at Agero + Swoop
The Cross Country Group- Director of Corporate Tax and Treasury
About the Cross Country Group:
The Cross Country Group is a leading provider of technology-enabled service programs for Global 500 firms in North America. The Cross Country Group works with over 500 corporate clients and their over 150 million consumers to provide services of various types. The Cross Country Group is comprised of three independent, entrepreneurial operating companies, including Agero, with a focus on business process outsourcing, emergency assistance services, consumer direct marketing, information services and related areas, as well as a family office that makes a range of investments.
*Agero Inc, one of the firms owned by The Cross Country Group is providing recruiting supporting for this hire.
Role Summary: The Director of Corporate Tax and Treasury is primarily responsible for leading all international, federal, state and local income taxes and indirect tax functions for The Cross Country Group and related operating companies and affiliates, totaling approximately $1.5 billion in gross revenues. This position also oversees investments, and funds management related to the CCG operating company financial activities, and plans, directs, and coordinates insurance programs of all the entities (The Cross Country Group and related affiliates) to control risks and losses to the businesses and shareholders.
Tax & Compliance:
- Maintain policy and procedures to ensure that the CCG entities remain compliant with all tax statutes and regulations. Minimize both total global tax and exposure.
- Coordinate the design, structure and execution of tax planning strategies with outside tax professionals for both corporate and shareholder groups
- Oversee the compliance function including the entities’ Federal, Canadian, states and local tax returns prepared by Tax Manager, staff and all outsourced compliance. Review and sign returns.
- Monitor Federal and state legislation and regulatory developments for matters that affect the entities, with special attention to state level market-based sourcing of income. Identify issues, opportunities, and develop strategies as appropriate and report to CFO and shareholders.
- Oversee and direct the preparation of the ASC740 GAAP tax provisions, balance sheet and footnote reporting. Oversee preparation of the “SAP 10” Statutory audited financial provisions and footnotes. Coordinate review by outside auditors
- Develop and provide advice and analysis to support key commercial decisions or transactions. Review and advise CFO and shareholders on transactions(e.g. mergers, acquisitions, dispositions), execution of tax due diligence and planning around the transactions, and tax accounting of the transaction
- Oversee all tax examinations, exam strategy, develop of tax positions and dispute resolution including appeals/litigation when needed.
- Review finance and accounting policies and procedures at each of the entities for proper tax record keeping and advise of needed changes where appropriate.
Treasury and Banking relations:
- Administers the banking platforms in use by the affiliates, establishing users and their entitlements, approving material wires/transfers/ACH’s and ensuring proper internal controls are in place at the affiliates.
- Ensure custody and protection of funds, securities and other financial instruments by utilizing appropriate financial systems and controls.
- Ensure secure management of bank accounts and banking information.
- Oversee the day-to-day cash requirements needs and evaluate procurement needs of funds and investment of surplus.
- Organize quarterly investment portfolio review meeting with the stakeholders and CFO. Oversee the proper execution of investment decisions and adherence to investment policy.
- Maintain banking relations and periodically review accounts and services with representatives of the banks
- Oversee and direct the insurance procurement process for all entities, work with brokers and advisors to market policies to underwriters and carriers and participate in the negotiations to obtain most beneficial pricing, terms, endorsements and conditions on insurance coverages
- Administer the functioning of a single parent captive insurance company, along with its attendant “TPA” and Reinsurance Trust.
- Work with appropriate business unit leaders to identify internal and external exposures and establish risk mitigation programs and initiatives where practical.
- Provides assistance to the General Counsel’s office by reviewing the insurance requirements during the contract review/renewals.
- Oversee and direct the claims process enterprise wide for all insurance lines. Review claims reporting, reserve increases and control settlement authority with the insurance carriers, brokers and insurance consultants.
- Influence affiliates in the development of appropriate loss control procedures.
Education, Experience and Skills:
Education: This position requires a minimum education of bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting/Tax, and a CPA certification. Tax training should include comprehensive study of federal tax statutes, state taxation, and research and compliance procedures. MBA, MST or JD a plus.
Experience: 12+ years including public accounting and large corporation experience, including management and leadership positions. Proven background as a technically oriented tax/treasury professional including relevant tax experience with income tax accounting, mergers and acquisitions, consolidation matters, corporations, partnerships, individual taxation, international tax, tax controversies and state income taxes including knowledge and experience with market-based sourcing.
Skills: Strong analytical skills and ability to work under tight time constraints and deadlines. Well-developed and broad technical knowledge of tax, treasury, legal and financial matters. Strong tax research and analysis skills. Specialized knowledge of transfer pricing, market-based state sourcing, insurance accounting rules, subchapter S corporations and risk management/insurance are all a plus. Ability to communicate complicated tax issues to non-tax professionals and outside personnel.. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate across all internal functional areas, external advisors and clients, as well as adversarial tax agencies. Ability to combine these skills to provide a vital leadership role to the Group.