Ellevation is seeking an experienced Controller to run its accounting and financial planning and analysis operations. You will be responsible for ensuring that our management and investors have the financial information needed to know not only where we are, but also where we are going. You will report to the CFO and manage our staff accountant. You will be a leader in our Financial Operations (FinOps) team which is responsible for ensuring that the people in our business have the information they need to make smart decisions at their fingertips.
Although we are all remote today, when we return to our downtown Boston office you will be based there with flexibility to work from home 1-2 days a week.
Within 1 month you will:
- Manage the monthly close process
- Prepare management and investor reporting packages
- Gain an understanding of our accounting and finance systems
- Gain a complete understanding of our revenue recognition policy and process
- Review payroll and other work done by the staff accountant
- Prepare monthly commission payments
- Review and approve invoices for payment
- Begin to develop a relationship with the staff accountant you will manage
- Prepare submissions for state compliance (payroll, sales & use tax, corporate registrations)
Within 3 months you will:
- Run a highly efficient monthly close process
- Work closely with CFO to prepare annual budget
- Work with divisional VPs to prepare their budgets
- Own the financial forecasting models
- Ensure that customers are billed and invoices are collected in a timely manner
- Become a partner to the People Ops team on tasks that overlap with finance
Within 6 months you will:
- Provide insightful variance analysis with monthly close
- Prepare for our annual financial audit
- Provide regular budget vs. actual analysis to VPs
- Gain a reputation for delivering accurate and timely information to managers throughout our organization
- Become a trusted partner to the CFO and entire FinOps team
Within 12 months you will:
- Evaluate and recommend changes needed to financial systems in order to streamline our processes
- Become a trusted resource for divisional VPs
- Mentor the staff accountant
- Accurately and timely complete various periodic accounting and financial responsibilities, including tax returns, 401(k) audit, state filings, etc.
- You are technically savvy, detail oriented, and enjoy building relationships across the organization
- You have worked in, and enjoy the rewards and challenges of, a growing technology company
- You are hands-on and thrive in a player-coach role
- You both work well independently and enjoy overcoming the challenges of remote work to build relationships with your team
Technical Skills & Experience
- You have implemented new financial systems
- Expertise with Adaptive, Salesforce, and/or other cloud-based ERP systems
- You have an understanding of recent accounting pronouncements and how they impact a privately-held technology company
- 8+ years of increasing experience in public and corporate accounting
- Expertise in software revenue recognition
- CPA preferred
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Language Learners (ELLs). Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations with a best-in-class data and instructional planning platform, resources to build teacher capacity, and student-facing programs to teach academic language.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with over 800 public school districts all across the country. We are well-capitalized, have a strong team, and are continuously focused on how to build the best organization so that we can achieve our ambitious social and financial objectives.
In addition to our great benefit plans and competitive salaries, here are some other perks that make us unique:
+ Great location in Boston - a stone’s throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop (We are currently working 100% remotely due to COVID-19)
+ Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
+ Fun Fridays including virtual happy hours with our remote team
+ Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
+ On-site gym, game room and darts to support all levels of athleticism
+ Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment!
Learn more about our team in our Culture Deck.
Here at Ellevation, we champion diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging. We strive to build a team that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We’re an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values a range of ideas and opinions. We embrace all types of differences in the development of our organization. We are proud to have been recognized in prior years as “Best Tech Workplace for Diversity” from the Timmy Awards for investing in trainings around inclusive behaviors, microaggressions, unconscious bias, and fostering a culture of sharing educational resources across the company. We are encouraged by our progress, but there’s more work to be done.