Alternative Investments Analyst
Investment Analyst – Alternative Investments
This role is responsible for the evaluation, recommendation and on-going monitoring of MassMutual Investment Management’s portfolio of alternative investments, including private equity, private credit, real estate, hedge funds or other liquid alternatives and alternative fixed income investments accessed through limited partnership positions, separately managed accounts and insurance dedicated funds (“Alternative Investments”) in collaboration with the Alternative Investments team members. This position will support all aspects of the Alternative Investments platform, including but not limited to, sourcing and underwriting investment opportunities, portfolio monitoring, reporting, forecasting and communications, analytics and modeling, and supporting/leading special projects.
The Alternative Investments team operates as part of MassMutual Investment Management (“IM”). IM manages the asset allocation and asset liability management for MassMutual’s $140 billion General Investment Account (“GIA”). IM monitors and oversees the performance of both affiliated and unaffiliated managers for the GIA and directly selects certain opportunistic and strategic Alternative Investments for the GIA. Many Alternative Investments are through third party fund investments or through the negotiation of separately managed accounts. However, this role will also support analysis, negotiation and execution of some co-investments and direct investments.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The primary responsibility of the Investment Analyst is “cradle-to-grave” “ownership” of Alternative Investments made in response to the analyst’s recommendation or which have been assigned to the analyst.
- Evaluation, modeling, peer benchmarking and decision recommendations relative to various strategic or opportunistic Alternative Investments.
- In-depth research of various investment-related topics relative to evaluation of potential investment opportunities.
- Accurate maintenance of transaction pipeline report of pending transactions, in accordance with Departmental Standard Work.
- Quantitative and qualitative review at least quarterly of the analyst’s Alternative Investments and performance grading in accordance with Department Standard Work.
The Investment Analyst will need to demonstrate strong analytical, modeling and problem-solving skills that can be applied dynamically and flexibly across different projects. Due to the diversity of Alternative Investments, this is a role that will tend to present many new and one-off problems and issues for the analyst to address. Analytical responsibilities may also extend to evaluating individual bond or loan assets or private equity, private debt or other private placement investment funds that serve as collateral for proposed transactions. The successful candidate will have natural curiosity and a love of learning, relish the challenge of solving puzzles and intellectual challenges and be comfortable with the ambiguity presented by new situations. At the same time, the successful candidate will naturally formulate answers or solutions to those ambiguous situations based upon empirical data. While this is not an actuarial role, a basic comfort with the meaning of probability distributions will be essential to making decisive decisions within an uncertain environment. Similarly, this is not a legal role, but the analyst must be comfortable reviewing legal documentation for their transactions.
THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of relevant investment experience required
- Interest in finance/investments, with basic accounting knowledge
- Strong analytical and problem solving skill set
- Ability to work closely with portfolio managers and senior management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a fast paced, team environment
- Ability and openness to understanding operational, accounting, and legal aspects of investments
- MBA or CFA strongly preferred (or enrolled as a CFA candidate)
WORK LOCATION: Boston (Fan Pier)
Ranked No. 77 in the annual FORTUNE ® 500 Ranking (FORTUNE ® Magazine, June 2017) and recognized as a World’s Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.