VP of Foundations & Platform Engineering at CarGurus
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
We’re looking for a hands on technical leader for our Foundations and Platform Engineering Team who is passionate about creating software that is used by millions. Our Engineering teams solve a variety of unique challenges, from designing complex data structures and algorithms to machine learning and data analytics. We deploy code daily and use data to drive our decisions, while delivering software and analytics to consumers and dealers around the world.
Our Foundations and Platform Engineering team focuses on providing infrastructure, frameworks and tools for product development engineering teams at CarGurus. They are also responsible for the overall health of the system, monitoring and reliability of our production and development systems. The teams works on providing build and delivery tools and at the same time works on engineering processes and architectural frameworks that help improve developer productivity, system stability and robustness. Providing a platform for developing performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, and scalable systems is a core characteristic of the team. This is a high visibility role that reports directly to the SVP of Engineering.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead Foundations and Platform engineering teams in development of world class software platform that enables development of products.
- Work closely with engineering teams to provide guidance on overall system design and architecture
- Prioritize team efforts and plan projects in a highly iterative environment
- Work with leadership and other teams to define roadmap for the team
- Drive long term strategy for development infrastructure, system architecture and development tools
- Work closely with Infrastructure Engineering team to contribute to the strategy for production infrastructure
- Lead the automation test team to drive increased automation coverage
- Mentor team leads and individual contributors
- Manage and contribute to the rapid scaling of the team
Who You Are:
- 10+ years of Software Engineering Experience
- 2+ years of team leadership experience
- Expertise with Java, or similar object oriented languages
- Able to lead the development, testing, and delivery of multiple software products. Desired experience in microservices architecture, containers and container management technologies.
- Drawn to and thrive in a fast-paced environment that pushes code daily
- Looking to work on challenging and highly-technical problems.
- Able to collaborate well with other functional teams and come up with a roadmap for architectural platform.
- Capable of providing mentorship for team leads and be able to review of critical code/designs
- Experienced with building large scalable systems
- Understanding of MySQL or similar relational databases
- Understanding of how to build high volume, high availability, distributed systems
- Knowledge of, or desire to learn search and / or related technologies like ElasticSearch
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field (preferred)
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.