At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
As Hopper’s VP of Engineering for our Platform, this role will ultimately oversee all of Hopper’s internal technology development for shared platform systems outside our product development operations for business units. It’s a single-threaded leadership role that will determine how we handle internal APIs in our microservice environment and build a strong technology ecosystem we can continue to leverage as we continue to massively grow and scale the business. Other aspects of overall development velocity will be taken into account, as well as site reliability, business intelligence, data platform and monitoring/performance engineering.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Develop mechanisms and strategies to ensure Hopper Technology runs smoothly and effectively.
- Direct and establish Platform projects, and be the owner for the roadmap.
- Monitor changes in the technology sector to discover ways the company can incrementally improve and develop.
- Supervise platform operations and work with product development teams to infer needs and stay ahead of our emerging business.
- Plan and direct the implementation of new technology systems to continue to scale Hopper.
- Provide leadership coaching to more junior members of Hopper and champion our leadership principles.
- Troubleshoot data or systematic issues.
- Own our API development philosophy and ensure cohesion across the business.
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Built large and diverse teams of exceptional individuals.
- Technical Degree(s) in computer science, engineering or a related field.
- Held leadership roles.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to use influence as effectively as direct control.
- Past success analyzing data, drawing accurate conclusions, and adjusting strategy accordingly.
- No ego, and a strong focus on doing what is right for the customer and the company.
- The ability to interface with diverse teams from leaders in business units to individual engineers.
- Experience in Travel or Mobile is a plus.
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
• Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass
• IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
• Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy)
• Team lunches, offsite activities and much more!
Read Full Job Description