Team Lead, Software Engineering - Air Foundation at Hopper
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:59 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021
• University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or Mathematics
• Experience managing a team of software engineers
• Thrived in the development of large-scale, robust microservice solutions
• Experience leading an Agile development team
• Passion for learning and mentoring
• Experience supporting and operating highly available systems
• Site Reliability Engineering experience
• GCP or AWS cloud environments experience
• Scala, Java or other JVM based language
About the job
We’re looking for a software engineering team lead to join our Air Foundation team and transition our core flight travel agency services to a multi-channel shopping, booking and servicing platform. As Hopper evolves from being a mobile app marketplace and starts exploring alternate channels and starts offering our best deals to external partners, we’re making some changes under the hood to deliver a fast and reliable user experience! We’re also enabling product innovation and partner connectivity teams by providing them powerful and simple to use APIs, so they can focus on what they do best.
As a Software Engineering Team Lead, you will be directly responsible for leading that transition for Flights systems and fostering a culture of operational excellence. You will be working with a team of experienced software engineers, architects and technical product managers. As a hands-on leader, you’ll be directly managing a small group of software developers and site reliability engineers, establishing effective development and operational support processes, and mentoring junior members of the team. You’ll also contribute to the technical direction and software architecture definition of our systems.
- Collaborate closely with a team of engineering and technical product leaders
- Design, develop and refactor scalable platform solutions to ensure Hopper delivers a fast and reliable user experience through extensible public quality interfaces
- Ensure a highly available and resilient system and foster a culture of operational excellence
- Coach individual contributors and grow them as technologists.
- Take a leading role in recruitment and process improvements.
- Be a trusted advisor to our technology leadership and your peers
- Champion the Hopper Leadership Principles
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description