Systems Engineer at Aurora Flight Sciences
Our Systems Engineering team sits at the center of all contributing engineering groups to ensure the program is true to requirements.
Aurora’s Systems Engineers help lead the design and development of our aircraft.
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing subsidiary, is seeking System Engineers to contribute to the development of next-generation autonomous aircraft. Our contributions to the aerospace industry include the world-record breaking Orion aircraft, the first fully autonomous helicopter (AACUS), a flying taxi, and a solar plane to name a few. Aurora’s Systems Engineers help lead the design and development of our aircraft, including supporting requirements definition, safety analyses, and certification processes. Systems Engineering also supports verification and flight-testing activities for those aircraft and their subsystems.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams of engineers to execute all phases of the systems engineering process:
- Define concepts of operations (CONOPS) for various new proposed programs and refine existing CONOPS for existing programs
- Define top-level stakeholder requirements for systems, as well as subsequent levels of requirements for subsystems
- Track defined requirements against testable and verifiable milestones as the program evolves
- Support the generation of safety related artifacts (FTA, FMEA) per SAE ARP4761
- Write and execute test plans in support of requirements verification
- Define and track programs risks, including mitigation plans to reduce program risk over time
- Support program reviews across Aurora to ensure engineering quality, and that all aspects of the development lifecycle have been accounted for
- Support the definition and refinement of processes within Aurora to better support systems engineering activities
- Guide the design of architectures for current and future Aurora autonomy programs, spanning unmanned aerial vehicles, human-robot interaction (both in-cockpit and ground-based), autonomous path planning and scheduling systems
- Support business development opportunities and the execution of research for military and commercial customers
- Support Program Managers in program proposals, program planning, and program execution
- Contribute to proposals, reports, and presentations where Systems Engineering issues are relevant
- B.S. or M.S. in Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field and relevant experience in applying systems engineering principles to complex aerospace or human-autonomous systems
- Technical background in systems engineering, aerospace engineering, software development, or related fields.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in systems engineering activities
- Demonstrated success in a highly collaborative environment
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills
- Must be a US Person (US Citizen or US Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder)
- Demonstrated experience working with a tailored systems engineering approach
- Experience with requirements management tools (IBM Rational DOORS)
- Familiarity with military airworthiness certification processes (MIL-HDBC-516C)
- Familiarity with civilian certification processes (RTCA DO-178C, SAE ARP4754)
- Software architecting experience
- Model Based System Engineering (MBSE)/SySML experience
Occasionally required (10%-25%) to travel for multi-site collaboration, reviews, customer meetings, etc.
Occasionally required to work non-business hours to support experiments and travel to customer sites
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing Company, is a leader in the development and manufacturing of advanced unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. Our mission is to apply autonomy and robotics to the development, production, and operation of advanced aircraft. We aim to change the way we travel.
We frequently achieve what others can’t due to a combination of experience, persistence, collaboration, and a culture of innovation. Projects are ambitious and risky. We apply breakthrough technologies to create a new state of the art, rather than advancing the old one.
During the last three decades, Aurora has designed, rapid prototyped, and flown an average of one new vehicle a year for both government and commercial customers. Now as an independent subsidiary of Boeing, Aurora’s innovation is combined with Boeing’s size and strength, creating an unprecedented opportunity to disrupt the future of the aerospace industry.
Aurora Company Overview:
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing Company, is a leader in the development and manufacturing of advanced unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. Our mission is to apply autonomy and robotics to the development, production, and operation of advanced aircraft. During the last three decades, Aurora has designed, rapid-prototyped, and flown an average of one new vehicle a year for both government and commercial customers. Now, as an independent subsidiary of Boeing, Aurora’s innovation is combined with Boeing’s size and strength, creating an unprecedented opportunity to shape the future of aerospace systems.