Chewy is hiring a Staff Software Engineer for our Pet Health Tech team in Boston, MA. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision and directly owning the implementation of architecture, design and features for this critical business line. As part of a fast-pace and startup environment, you will be responsible to design and build a new product providing advanced B2C and B2B capabilities using a modern Micro Front End and Micro Services using Java and AWS. You will be the overall technology leader of a team of 4-6 engineers with a mission to build reusable and scalable services. You are expected to be an excellent team motivator and mentor always raising the bar on quality and timely delivery in a highly agile environment.
What You'll Do:
- Design and build reusable, secure and high performing micro services on a scalable AWS platform
- Work in an agile and fast pace development environment, collaborating with Application Development and Platform Engineering teams
- Provide technical guidance to your team by providing design and code reviews among other collaboration techniques
- Experience in using DevOps principles and techniques to delivery high quality software with the least technical debt possible
- Continuously adopt and embrace industry best practices in terms of technology and development process
What you'll need:
- 8+ years of experience in an object-oriented language such as Java or Python
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals – object oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience in designing and building service-oriented architectures
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills & a working knowledge of design patterns
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems.
- Strong background with modern tools and environments (e.g., XML, web services, version control systems, bug/issue tracking tools)
- Experience with cloud & orchestration technologies (AWS Services, Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in e-commerce
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus.
- Good communication skills with both technical and business audiences.
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected]