Staff Software Engineer, New Verticals at Chewy
Chewy is hiring a Staff Software Engineer for our New Verticals E-Commerce team in Boston, MA. As a Staff Engineer you will have development and operational oversight over major systems at Chewy. You will be in charge of evaluating new technologies, designing, developing impactful software capabilities to enhance or create new functionality needed to grow Chewy. You will have the opportunity to be part of a high performing engineering team where we value broad-based technical skills in cloud-based services, databases, security, serverless technologies, and more.
What you'll do:
- You will participate in working with all of the top engineers at Chewy to evolve architecture direction of all development at Chewy.
- You will have responsibility over major components of Chewy’s architecture – both development and operational needs. You will be the go-to engineer for your part of the platform.
- You will be responsible for ensuring your systems are fully CICD and have responsibility of a plan to get to CICD if not there yet.
- Limiting technical debt will be your key objective.
- Hiring, training, mentoring and growing new talent will be a major part of your job as Chewy is growing all teams at a record pace
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Conduct design and code reviews and raise the bar on engineering rigor and standard
- Debug production issues across services and tech stack
- Continuously measure and optimize the performance, effectiveness, and uptime of backend services
- You will participate in setting guidelines for evolving development practices, as well as mentoring junior engineers.
What you'll need:
- 10+ years of experience in an object-oriented language such as Java with 3+ years as hands-on Software Architect
- Minimum 5 years of software development in Java8/Spring Boot stack.
- Minimum of 3 years of cloud architecture and service development experience.
- Hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale or current hands on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience.
- Be a hands-on Engineer spending significant percentage of their time writing code or debugging tricky issues.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operation
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals – object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills & a working knowledge of design patterns
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems.
- Strong background with modern tools and environments (e.g., JSON 3 API, Chaos Engineering, web services, version control systems, bug/issue tracking tools)
- Experience with cloud & orchestration technologies (AWS Services, Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in e-commerce
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus.
- Good communication skills with both technical and business audiences.
- Experience with OpenAPI, Swagger, or stoplight.io
- Experience with configuration and deployment management via Terraform or Ansible
- Infrastructure automation through DevOps scripting (E.g. shell, Python, Ruby, Powershell)
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected]