Staff Software Engineer, Billing
We’re not your traditional tech company and we don’t aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of thought, background and experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to play a critical role on the team responsible for building our customer billing platform which handles how we charge customers for Toast products and services. At Toast, we connect our proprietary technology platforms with integrations to standard enterprise systems such as ERP (Netsuite), and CRM (Salesforce) to deliver seamless billing experiences for our restaurant clients and supported by our business operations, sales, and customer success teams. These systems play a critical role in how we engage and maintain high quality relationships with our customers.
About this roll*:
- Architecting and designing our billing microservices to support integration of upstream platforms and product lines using pub/sub, REST and other microservice patterns
- Collaborating with our business applications team to design and implement best practices for integration with standard enterprise applications including ERP (NetSuite), and CRM (Salesforce)
- Architecting and designing our onboarding journey microservices to support integration of upstream platforms and product lines using pub/sub, REST and other microservice patterns
- Thinking in terms of the end-user and designing accordingly
- Participating in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Phrases like “606 compliance” and “revenue recognition” interest you
- You value the success of the business and are able to design technical solutions to drive that success
- You have experience working with product teams to plan for solutions that deliver good outcomes to our customer and the company
- You want to remain close to the code and are comfortable making complex changes without breaking (too much) stuff
- You demonstrate humility, empathy and respectfulness
- You act as a force multiplier for teams you work with
*Bread puns encouraged, not required
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ and Pulsar clusters, as well as direct tablet communication to the back end. Toast leverages standard enterprise applications such as NetSuite and Salesforce for key business operations.