Staff Software Engineer- Android (Fintech) at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Bready* to make a change?
The Payment teams at Toast operate one of the most critical portions of the Toast infrastructure: accepting payments from guests at restaurants. Payment processing is a key source of Toast’s revenue and also the lifeblood of our customers; we process billions of dollars in transactions per day. Our goal is to stay on the cutting edge of consumer payment options and give the restaurant staff and guests a fast and seamless payment experience.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join the Payments Workflow team to help build and maintain a best in class Payments experience for both restaurants and their guests. Some of our recent projects include improving Payments cash and credit workflows as well as improving the overall quality of our codebase through adopting model-view-presenter and Kotlin. We need your help to expand our workflow improvements and capabilities to our Android-based point-of-sale system.
About this roll*
- Hands-on contribution to the codebase that is used for processing hundreds of thousands of payments per day, interfacing with multiple hardware reader platforms
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the team on how to build systems that solve current needs while being flexible to future innovations
- Collaborate with PM, UX, QA, and Engineering to implement, monitor, and maintain our core payments workflows
- Work closely with other teams to ensure seamless integration with our point-of-sale and backend
- Participate in compassionate code reviews to ensure implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentor and guide less experienced engineers
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Experience in building high quality native Android applications
- Passionate about quality and customer experience
- Enjoy devising technical solutions to solve complex business problems
- Contribute to the knowledge base of their team by sharing industry advancements trends and future directions
- Balance getting things done with making things perfect
* Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Tech Stack
We develop our native apps on iOS and Android using Swift and Kotlin both of which follow a VIPER architecture. Both apps use Apollo GraphQL for a majority of their API models and networking. Our backend services use Java, Kotlin, or Node.js. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using GraphQL, Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda.