Staff Backend Developer - Execution (Win)
CircleCI is looking for an experienced software engineer with Windows experience to help us shape the future of our build execution platform.
In this role, you’d be part of a small, distributed team of back end engineers and SRE folks working on the software and infrastructure that powers the CircleCI build system. We’re a fast-growing company now often scheduling up to 3k jobs per minute. We’re running 12M+ builds per month – more than double compared to one year ago.
You would be working at the very core of our product, enabling hundreds of thousands of developers to do their work better every day. We’re looking for someone who’s curious to develop a deep understanding of our system and to solve challenging problems at scale while delivering new capabilities to our customers. If you want to write sustainable, resilient code in a team that values collaboration, trust, and learning, you may be the person we’re looking for.You will have direct impact in the following ways:
- Identify and recommend additional opportunities for growth in the Windows ecosystem.
- Improve our systems level tooling and programming to make our system more robust and reliable.
- Solve complex operational challenges in tandem with other teams from engineering, SRE, and support.
- Maintain our Windows images and improve our DSC pipeline.
- Utilize containers, container orchestration, and virtualization, allowing us to scale our distributed fleet through our next growth phase.
- Improve our architecture together with our engineering teams.
- Write high-quality, sustainable, high-performance code, primarily in Go.
- Help us shape how we design, release, and maintain microservices.
- Set the direction of our platform together with your team and product owners.
- Participate in your team’s on-call rotation.
If you’re curious about the tools this team is using and how they’re working, find out more here:
- Write Less Code, Use More Tools
- How CircleCI Processes 4.5 Million Builds Per Month
We’re looking for someone who enjoys collaboration, is curious and interested in learning, brings strong communication and teamwork skills, and helps others grow by sharing their expertise and encouraging best practices. If this sounds like you, here’s the additional experience we’re looking for:
- SRE or DevOps background preferred.
- Experience building Win32 applications.
- Experience building and debugging distributed systems.
- Proficiency in one or more of Go, C, or C++.
- Proficiency with Powershell.
- Comfortable mentoring others as the subject-matter expert in the Windows development domain.
- Focus on delivering high-quality code through strong testing practices.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to learn and collaborate closely with your team in synchronous and asynchronous formats.
This role equals level E4 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectation for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.How to apply:
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and a cover letter if you’d like to let us know describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (GitHub, Twitter, Stack, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in San Francisco with a global remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures (formerly DFJ), Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, Harrison Metal Capital, Owl Rock Capital Partners, and NextEquity Partners.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.