Sr. Software Engineer at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Bready* to make a change?
Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of background and experience.
The Digital Ordering branch of Toast builds consumer-facing web and native mobile products that reach millions of restaurant guests every day. In this role, as a part of Digital Ordering, you’ll be shaping the future of restaurant experiences and setting the bar for the industry. We need impact-driven, product-thinking engineers to build experiences that exceed expectations and challenge the status quo.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Work with fellow engineers, product managers, designers, and user researchers to build amazing web and mobile features, applications, and services
- Flex your full-stack muscles with challenging end-to-end tasks in a supportive, collaborative team environment
- Mentor engineers through code-pairing and detailed code reviews
- Ship code that has a massive impact on the growth of Toast
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience building web or native mobile applications and an understanding of app frameworks
- Experience building back-end services and APIs from scratch
- Firm understanding of client-server communication and can apply different access patterns to solve problems
- You know how to monitor, troubleshoot, and improve system performance through logging and metrics
- You’re hungry to learn more and willing to take on challenging projects if it means you’ll be a better engineer at the end
- You know how to express humility and are an empathetic co-worker
Special Sauce (Nonessential Requirements)
- You’ve got a curiosity to dive deep into guest experiences, understand and optimize every aspect of the interactions between restaurants and guests, and inform roadmaps based on your insights
- You’ve worked with experimentation frameworks (often referred to as A/B experiments) and understand the value of using metrics to drive product direction
More on our tech stack:
Our mobile products run on iOS and Android, backend services in Java, and Kotlin. The web front-end runs on React. Our backend services follow a BFF architecture with GraphQL; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations, and robust load balancing.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required