Nuance is the pioneer and leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) innovations that bring intelligence to everyday work and life. We deliver solutions that understand, analyze, and respond to people, amplifying human intelligence to increase productivity and improve security. With decades of both domain and AI expertise, we work with thousands of organizations across a wide range of industries.
Join our team! At Nuance, we are constantly reinventing how people connect with technology and with each other. Our AI-powered solutions empower organizations to transform “business as usual.” For decades, the world’s leading financial, healthcare, telecommunications, retailers, and government organizations have trusted Nuance to bring them award-winning solutions that deliver more meaningful outcomes and empower a smarter, more connected world. From clinical speech recognition technologies that free physicians to spend more time caring for patients to real-time intelligence that powers billions of customer interactions, we’re deeply committed to helping organizations push the boundaries of what’s possible.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Manager to join the CTO Office Program Operations team, which launches and supports strategic and high visibility programs for the CTO Office and Global R&D.
The role is a management and leadership role that works directly with the R&D Research Computing Engineering and Operations teams, R&D management and technical leads, Security, and IT. You will take ownership of the environment design and deployment, management and efficiency, with consideration of future needs and trends. You will directly influence and shape the environment that is utilized to develop the latest AI technology to Nuance products, such as Dragon Ambient Experience and Agent AI, among many more.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the R&D Research Computing team, fostering a culture of inclusion, accountability and shared purpose – a team responsible for design, delivery and maintenance of the Research computing environment and R&D developer tools such as source code repositories.
- Lead transformation from an on-premise to a cloud/hybrid environment supporting evolving cutting-edge AI model development, training and inference.
- Collaborate with R&D leaders to champion a long-term vision for R&D Research computing and machine learning infrastructure.
- Actively participate in architecture and code reviews for design and implementation; directly contribute to development as needed.
- Drive continual improvements for availability, performance, observability, quality and cost effectiveness.
- Align with key internal partners and vendors to deliver platforms that provides a simplified R&D experience and meets dynamic business requirements.
- Own security and compliance domains for the platform.
- Own the management of the budget for the R&D Research Computing team, participating in corporate fiscal processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
Minimum Years of Work Experience:
5+ years cloud software delivery experience
8+ years of software architecture experience
15+ years software industry experience
- Experience managing high-performing teams in an Agile environment, across engineering and operations disciplines.
- Passionate about fostering a collaborative and inclusive team culture, facilitating team career growth.
- Demonstrated examples of solving infrastructure problems with software and materially improving system operability - through monitoring, service level management, lifecycle management, performance tuning, and documentation.
- Prior experience in cloud transformation initiatives (direct experience with Azure and GCP preferred). Experience creating technology roadmaps for infrastructure teams undertaking automation and cloud transformation.
- Strong background in DevOps concepts and tools; well-disciplined in continuous integration and delivery.
- Good people and negotiation skills, able to listen to a diversity of technical opinions and build consensus.
- Good decision maker; able to manage risk with mitigation plans, and escalate issues where/when appropriate.
- Effective communicator across a variety of audiences, from senior researchers and engineers to executives.
- Experience securing products, tools, and processes.
- Experience in managing technology vendor relationships; strong financial acumen and direct experience in management of operational expenses.
- Hands-on experience architecting, designing, and delivering software systems.
- Comfortable troubleshooting/scripting as needed on a Linux system.
- Experience or strong understanding of high performance computing and data infrastructure environments, for both cloud and on-premise.
- Familiarity with Azure services, Slurm, Kubernetes, Kubeflow, Docker, Singularity, Nvidia GPUs, deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow, and other widely used frameworks.
Education: Bachelor/Master’s degree in Technology discipline (Computer Science/Engineering), MBA a plus
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by law or Nuance policy. If you need an accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 and let us know.
Read Full Job Description