Abacus Insights is a mission-driven, start-up technology company that is focused on improving health outcomes, lowering the cost of healthcare, and delivering a more seamless healthcare experience. At our core, we are passionate about advancing healthcare and improving people’s lives through technology.
Abacus Insights provides a flexible, efficient, and secure platform that organizes and exchanges data from various sources and formats, allowing healthcare companies to uncover differentiated insights that address their customers’ needs. Our employees know that they play an active role in keeping our customers data safe and are responsible for ensuring that our comprehensive policies and practices are met.
With our deep expertise in cloud-enabled technologies and knowledge of the healthcare industry, we have built an innovative data integration and management platform that allows healthcare payers access to data that has been historically siloed and inaccessible. Through our platform, these health insurance payers can ingest and manage all the data they need to transform their business by supporting their analytical, operational, and financial needs.
Through this mission and passion to aid people and population health, we have built a highly successful SaaS business that is heavily funded (since our founding in 2017 we have over 53 million) by leading VC firms who have deep expertise in the healthcare and technology industries. At Abacus, we are solving problems of massive scale and complexity in an industry that is not only ripe for disruption but requires innovation. We see massive growth in our future and would love for you to be a part of it!
As the Director of Engineering, you will lead, direct, manage, and participate in the day-to-day operations of a team of software and data engineers working closely with quality engineers, product owners and business. You will manage all of the operational aspects of the teams to ensure business and product/project objectives are met. You provide administrative, technical, and people leadership for multiple, diverse, and sometimes geographically distributed teams. You are responsible for providing feedback to the team and individuals on their performance. You will coach and guide teams to enable future success.
As a member of engineering team, you are responsible for the coaching, mentoring, managing and leading the talent within an agile environment.
Job Functions, Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Adept at clear, confident communication with executive staff
- Skillful at driving critical internal project (eg. Quality, Workflow Innovation, Development Productivity and Benchmarking)
- Meaningful experience in the world of Data
- Capable of credible customer interactions
- Mentoring development team members to ensure delivered solutions adhere to the software architecture strategy, coding standards, and established organizational policies and procedures.
- Participating in software architectural discussions, influencing decisions, and collaborating with peers to maintain consistency across the organization.
- Identifying people and process improvement strategies for the Scrum team(s).
- Communicate organizational updates to ensure teams adhere to the established policies and procedures.
- Manages moderate-sized software development teams, usually within an assigned product line.
- Ensures projects are completed on time and according to our quality standards.
- Facilitates communication upward around architecture, design and implementation objectives.
- Proven experience in leading software development teams or projects.
- Excellent knowledge of software development design and experience with agile development methodologies.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, decision making and communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Cloud (AWS well architected) Architecture, Security, and REST based services.
- Good understanding of Incident Management, Configuration Management, Operational efficiency and Customer Management preferred.
- Good experience with open source.
- Responsible for supervision of software engineers, software developments teams and process
- Coach and mentor software developer, develop staff skills, provide continuous feedback and responsible for annual reviews
- Lead and manage direct reports and set clear goals and objectives
- Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
- Has passion and conviction and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Responsible for protecting, securing, and proper handling of all confidential data held by Abacus to ensure against unauthorized access, improper transmission, and/or unapproved disclosure of information that could result in harm to Abacus or our clients.
- Assist with other tasks and projects as assigned
- Conducting one on ones, performance reviews, and career development plans with associates.
- Ability to manage personnel activities of staff and develop the appropriate resource planning to meet the needs of the team.
Experience, Skills, Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience managing software developers or software teams
- At least 2 years’ experience with Agile processes (Scrum, XP, Kanban, Scrumban, etc.)
- Passion for Continuous integration and deployment pipeline and automation
- Operates with a ‘DevOps’ mentality (tight cooperation between development and operations engineering)
- Passion for quality and continuous improvement of processes and software Ability to work collaboratively with other Software Development Managers to ensure that technical and schedule dependencies within the teams are fully met in a timely
- Managers to ensure that technical and schedule dependencies within the teams are fully met in a timely
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a software developer at some point in career
- Solid understanding of software engineering fundamentals (high level understanding of OO concepts, design patterns, cloud architecture, API‘s etc.)
- Experience and good understanding of designing scalable, distributed systems for running small to medium scale data processing applications and services
- Possesses a level of breadth and depth of software development experience that allows for influence and competence in technical discussions with internal and external stakeholders
- Solid understanding of roles adjacent to the software development manager (product management, project management, QE management, operations etc.). Ability to adapt to these roles as defined at Abacus.
- Ability to grow the careers of software developers ranging from entry level to senior (8 or more years)
- Ability to build team unity and to inspire team members to the importance of a mission
- Ability to make high quality hires in a tight employment market
- Ability to remove obstacles for team members
- Ability to have difficult discussions with employees/peers/managers as necessary
- Ability to consistently apply Abacus core values in workplace interactions
Equal Opportunity Employer:
As a mission-led technology company that is helping to drive better healthcare outcomes, Abacus Insights believes that the best innovation and value we can bring to our customers comes from diverse ideas, thoughts, experiences, and perspectives. We are dedicated to building diverse teams, and as such provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. As well as prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.