Software Team Lead, Mobile Consumer Apps
Why be a Toaster?
"I love working at Toast because we put restaurants first, and empower them to focus on the best diner experience possible!” - Martin Z, Software Engineer
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Lead Mobile Software Engineer to play a critical role in creating our first mobile consumer experience for restaurant visitors, while mentoring a team of 3+ engineers. Thus far Toast’s core software has been used by thousands of restaurants for everything from seating guests, to taking orders, to displaying orders in the kitchen. The leader of this new consumer facing team will extend our platform to better connect restaurants with their guests.
As a Team Lead for one of Toast’s teams, you will:
- Lead the team in building new consumer experiences from the ground up
- Balance rapid iteration and learning with building high quality experiences
- Promote Leadership behaviors across consumer team
- Architect experiences and underlying systems that can scale to hundreds of thousands of customers
- Collaborate with product management to define technical and product roadmaps
- Mentor 3+ engineers
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 4+ years of experience building complex applications for the iPhone or iPad using Objective-C/C++/Swift
- A history of maintaining high quality mobile applications.
- Experienced in leading technical team for 2+ years or has served as technical leader on significant engineering efforts
- Passion for understanding users
- Desire to work on experiences that are critical to customer success
- Clear communication skills, up, down and across teams
- The ability to quickly hop into a new codebase and find your way around
- The ability to balance getting things done with making things perfect
- Likes to get involved deciding what gets built to solve for the customer and the company
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.