Software Engineer at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast is looking for motivated individuals who want to build great software and work with and learn from talented peers while doing it. We work extensively with Android and web front ends, where we work hard to provide a well-designed user interface for our customers. Our infrastructure runs in Amazon Web Services where we run Java and Kotlin microservices in Docker containers; our customers rely on us to keep this infrastructure fast and stable so that their point-of-sale system "just works", despite being a complex distributed system. We need talented engineers to build and maintain the highest quality product and infrastructure as our vision moves forward.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
This is an entry-level role where you will work on a small team with 3-6 engineers, QA, product manager, and UX designer. Teams are typically responsible for a significant module out of Toast’s product suite. Members of the team will have responsibilities such as:
- Build and maintain high performance, flexible, and highly scalable web and mobile applications
- Participate in designing, estimating effort, implementing, testing, debugging, configuring, integrating and documenting database, middle-tier and front-end code
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Think in terms of the end-user and design accordingly
- Actively contribute to product design and feature selection discussions
- Participate in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
As we have openings in multiple teams, the specific skills required to be successful will vary, but if you have any of these skills, please apply!
- Growth mindset and openness to learning new skills
- Interest in general software engineering OR specialties such as front-end, back-end and infrastructure, Android or developer productivity/tooling.
- Able to communicate clearly in verbal and written communication, particularly with remote employees
Our interview process for these roles will consist of:
- Code screen via automated tool
- 30m call with a recruiter
- 60m technical interview with one or two of our software engineers
- 30m cultural add interview with a member of our R&D team
We welcome your questions about Toast at any point during the interview process!