Software Engineer at MassMutual
MassMutual’s Data Science Software Engineering organization is seeking an exceptional, highly motivated and self-directed software engineer. In this role, you will work with software engineers, data scientists, data engineers, product and project managers, and enterprise stakeholders to help deliver innovative, data-driven systems aimed at transforming the insurance industry. You will lead and contribute to a complex portfolio of projects and develop and advocate for a technical strategy across the organization. Mentor more junior engineers and data scientists. May be responsible for any of the following: design, develop, implement, test, document, and operate systems and/or applications that support and/or enhance data science products and/or workflows. Design database schemas, query and aggregate data. Consume, process, and build RESTful API endpoints. Peer review the work of software engineers and data scientists. Act as technical SMEs across the data science organization.
This is an opportunity to join a small but growing high performing team with diverse backgrounds in applied math, computer science and physics that have been tasked with developing, maintaining and extracting knowledge from strategic data assets. Our work revolves around studying fundamental and high impact business questions that directly impact the direction of the company and industry at large.
On a regular basis our team uses MacBook Pros, Linux, Jenkins, GitHub, AWS S3, EC2, Kubernetes, Docker, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Vertica, Kafka via the Confluent platform, Slack, Google Docs, Microsoft Office 365, Confluence, Jira.
Daily and monthly responsibilities - What your days and weeks will include.
- Independently lead a portfolio of complex projects and research initiatives
- Develop and maintain in house libraries written in Python and R, including their associated unit tests and ci/cd pipelines
- Embrace and promote software engineering best practices across the organization
- Mentor junior team members across the organization
Required skills and qualifications - The qualifications that are needed for this role:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7+ years working experience with Python and/or R.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and willingness to learn new concepts, methods, and technologies
- Knowledge of NoSQL systems, Hadoop/map-reduce, AWS, DynamoDB, Kafka, etc.
- Expert level in database design and SQL
- Expert level in CI/CD using Jenkins
- Expert level in Linux systems
- Expert level in developing enterprise grade applications
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Outstanding communication skills (publication history a plus)
- Authorized to work in the United States with or without sponsorship now or in the future