At Kensho, we hire talented people and give them the autonomy, support, and resources needed to build cutting edge technology and products for our parent company, S&P Global. As a result, we produce technology that solves the challenges of one of the world’s largest, most successful financial institutions.
As a Software Engineer, Query Infrastructure on the Knowledge team, you will be responsible for building a highly advanced cross-database querying platform capable of finding and providing data from a wide variety of sources, from SQL databases to S3 buckets. This platform underpins Kensho’s advanced machine learning and analytics applications, so you will apply cutting-edge compiler, database, and distributed systems ideas to empower your teammates and collaborate on solving difficult real-world data problems. Also, because we firmly believe in giving back to the community, you will contribute to the many open-source projects that our projects rely on.
Are you looking to make impactful, scalable contributions that could transform the way people think about data? If so, we would love to help you excel here at Kensho. We take pride in our team-based, tightly-knit Kenshin community that provides our employees with a collaborative, supportive environment that brings transparency to the biggest challenges in data.
What We're Working On:
- Open-source, optimizing GraphQL-to-database-queries compiler (blog post)
- Topological query scheduler for the OrientDB open-source graph database (pull request)
- Cross-database query cost estimation, query planning, and automatic query pagination
What You'll Do
- Contribute to our open-source optimizing GraphQL compiler
- Build systems that optimize query execution across a variety of SQL, graph, time-series, and blob-storage databases
- Design flexible caching, load-balancing, and query execution infrastructure with an eye toward scalability and performance
What We Look For:
- Proficient and comfortable in at least one programming language
- Knowledgeable in algorithms, data structures, and systems design
- Experience working with and building distributed systems, databases, or compilers
- Strong attention to detail, with an emphasis on documentation and testing as you’ll be building the query layer that powers our future products
- Desire to build a strong, collaborative engineering culture as a code reviewer, mentor, and teammate
How to Really Get Our Attention:
- Major contributor on the backend or infrastructure teams of a top company
- Open-source project contributions showing innovation and initiative
- 2+ years of experience with large-scale computer systems or graph databases
- Participation and awards at math or programming olympiads (e.g. IMO or IOI)
- Relevant research or publications
Technologies We Like:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance with 100% premium covered
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 18 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) plan with employer matching
- Company matching on donations to non-profit charities
- $20,000 tuition assistance for courses relevant to your role
- Free snacks, drinks, and regularly catered lunches
- Stipend towards commuter or gym reimbursement
- Bike-sharing program membership
- Ability to learn and receive mentorship from world-class engineers
- Opportunity to expand your professional network and participate in conferences and events
Kensho uses machine learning, artificial intelligence, natural language processing and data visualization techniques to solve some of the hardest analytical problems and create breakthrough financial intelligence solutions for our parent company, S&P Global.
Kensho was founded in 2013 by Harvard & MIT alums and was acquired by S&P Global in 2018 for $550M, the largest FinTech AI acquisition ever. Kensho continues to operate as a startup in order to maintain our distinct, independent brand and to promote our breakthrough, innovative culture. Our team of Kenshins enjoy a dynamic and collaborative work environment that runs autonomously from S&P, while leveraging the unparalleled breadth and depth of data and resources available as part of S&P Global.
As Kenshins, we pride ourselves on maintaining an innovative culture that depends on diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes future Kenshins with all experiences and perspectives.
Kensho is headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in New York City, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.