Software Engineer, Product Security
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a self-motivated individual with a keen eye for application security that loves building extraordinary software. The Product Security team at Toast is focused on ensuring that Toast is the safest and most secure platform for restaurants to entrust with their critical data and business operations. If you’re a software engineer with a real passion for security, who always keeps up with the latest security trends and technologies, and has an eye for secure, reliable, high-quality code, you might be a great fit for our dedicated security engineering team.
As a software engineer on the Product Security team, you will be:
- Building state of the art features across the Toast product, including frontend, backend, and database technologies, to improve the overall security of the platform
- Collaborate across the engineering org on all matters of security
- Working to discover and fix any security issues in the Toast platform
- Providing security domain expertise to others in the organization
- Supporting other Toast engineers with security code reviews and security testing
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Passion for writing quality code across a wide range of technologies, such as Java, Android, and web
- Always interested in learning more about application security
- Passionate about building phenomenal software and desire to work collaboratively
- Familiarity with AWS, cloud computing infrastructure, and distributed systems are a plus
- Skilled in Android, Java, Kotlin, HTML/CSS/JS, and/or database development are a bonus
- Experience with application vulnerability discovery and/or mitigation is preferred
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.