Software Engineer, Marketplace Trading at Indigo (Greater Boston Area, MA or Remote)
We’re an international agtech startup aspiring to revolutionize a budding industry where agriculture meets technology. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming experts, who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge technologists and scientists on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer. Indigo is extraordinary, and we owe that to the people who make up our community and enable success through the diversity of thought, experience, background, perspective, race, sexuality, gender, age, and everything else that makes a person uniquely themselves. Connected by a common vision and empowered by diversity, we aren’t ordinary, and neither are you. Embrace your extraordinary and join Indigo in cultivating a healthier planet fueled by unique game-changers
As a backend engineer on the Marketplace Trading team, you’ll create scalable, distributed systems that integrate with a rich ecosystem of services to power web, mobile, and desktop applications empowering thousands of farmers throughout the world to sustainably feed the planet. Particular to the Trading team, you’ll be responsible for building fast, secure, reliable, testable, audited integrations with financial providers to perform commodities hedging on behalf of our customers.
Indigo Marketplace is changing how food is produced and sold—in the U.S. now, and soon around the world. Today, growers don’t have incentive to grow higher-quality crops. In fact, since grain is commoditized, growers’ main incentive is to simply grow as much volume as possible.
Our Marketplace flips the current model on its head by connecting growers directly with buyers and preserving crop identity. This means that growers get paid a premium for growing organic and similarly desirable crops.
Your expertise in software interface design and architecture will help us deliver a flexible backend to our growing suite of world-class marketplace products.
As an engineer at Indigo you’ll:
- Lead features end to end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, communicating risks and issues to stakeholders, and working together to find a path forward
- Help design and implement performant APIs using a modern web stack consisting of Python, FastAPI, and Poetry.
- Collaborate with product managers, front-end engineers, and data science engineers to spec, build, test and deploy high quality code in the cloud
- Leverage applicable design patterns, refactoring code where necessary, to maintain organizational consistency
- Ensure that all APIs are adequately tested in an automated framework, including functional and performance tests
- Review code, have your code reviewed, and learn from other engineers
- Voice your expertise to provide technical constraints and solutions to product managers, with a focus on incremental delivery
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent work experience or training (ie professional bootcamps)
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 2+ years with a focus on backend work
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and data management
- You have experience in one or more imperative programming languages
- You’ve worked in systems that have specific security, privacy, and/or auditability requirements
- You possess a good understanding of the web request/response lifecycle and API design -- including versioning, isolation and microservice architectures
- You have experience deploying and monitoring software in a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- You have built production applications using one or more of the following, or similar: Python, Node.js, Ruby.
- You understand how to design APIs and libraries that are easy for clients to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend systems
- You’re able to research and propose new technologies or software patterns to improve the software ecosystem
- You’re a strong communicator that can convey technical concepts and trade-offs to both engineering and business audiences
- You have prior experience working in a fast-paced, agile environment
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and self awareness
- You are a perpetual learner and passionate about technology
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet.
Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list above aren’t an exact match… great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Benefits:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- Catered Lunches
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) plan