Software Engineer II
TripAdvisor Hotels is the market leader in its space and the most profitable business unit at TripAdvisor. We love travel and our mission is to help people around the world plan and have the perfect trip.
What you could work on:
- Building systems that use big data to identify travelers who would benefit from learning about our best-in-class traveler experience and hotel research.
- Architecting the scalability needed to grow our already largest-in-class keyword automation platform.
What you will do:
- Write code—it's an engineering role, after all.
- Work with your team and with other groups like product management and data science to bring your projects to fruition.
- Touch code at all levels, front end to back end, whatever is required to complete your project.
- Be creative and pragmatic when solving your problems.
- Be a mentor for others on the team.
- Move quickly. We have daily releases so build it and ship it!
What you will bring to the team:
- A desire to learn.
- An open mind.
- 3+ years of experience as a professional engineer.
- The understanding that done is often a better option than perfection.
Our tech stack is primarily Java based. You will have both a Mac laptop and a Linux dev server for your work environment. Our storage engine is PostgreSQL, our backends are moving to micro-services, and our web front ends are in the process of moving to React and web components. With the number of visitors who use TripAdvisor on a daily basis, you can imagine that our big data is exactly that, and so your job will have you working with Hadoop (Hive, Spark, M/R) Kafka, and RedShift. We make liberal use of ML here, so you’ll have the chance to support, or take part in, significant optimization projects.
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site*, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 630 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide—covering approximately 7.5 million accommodations, airlines, experiences, and restaurants—TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowd to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do, and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors**, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.