Software Engineer - Backend
Hopper is the smart way to book travel on your phone. Combining massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper predicts and analyzes airfare and accommodation to save users money and enable them to travel more often.
Since its launch in 2015, Hopper has become one of the fastest growing travel apps ever with over 25 million installs to date. It is now the most downloaded flights booking app in North America and travelers have booked hundreds of millions of dollars in flights and hotels around the world using Hopper.
The app has received accolades such as Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company in Travel 2018, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016, and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
As a Software Engineer – Backend you'll be part of a growing team of Engineers and Product Designers with big ambitions: delivering a delightful and powerful product that empowers travelers. We’re always looking for driven, versatile, autonomous yet collaborative engineers to help us build great things. You'll work with a team that's built an industry-leading travel shopping platform and the world's most powerful travel recommendation engine.
At Hopper, you'll help evolve a complex system of distributed micro-services using Scala and Finagle. And your code will interface with large, distributed no-SQL stores with more than a Petabyte of historical data. You'll work with Apache Spark (python and Scala) to analyse trillions of data points and on pipelines ingesting billions of data points daily with Kafka and Spark Streaming.
A perfect candidate has:
We're looking for engineers of diverse backgrounds, from recent graduates to engineers with years of experience building distributed systems. Our fundamental requirements are a drive to learn and a shared engineering philosophy:
- Design and write beautiful code: simple, testable, efficient and maintainable
- Learn new languages, technologies and frameworks from one project to the next
- Collaborate with others to solve tough technical and product problems
- Well-funded and proven startup with larger ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- Access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, all on us
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or paid parking
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and healthy snacks
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!