Site reliability Engineer (SRE) - Hotels foundation at Hopper
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:59 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Hotels
About the job
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be focused on the availability, reliability and operational excellence of Hopper's core Hotel Marketplace services. We're looking for passionate engineers that enjoy partnering with product development teams to build, deploy and maintain solutions for our mobile app customers and SAAS business partners. You will leverage your understanding of public cloud architecture applied to Hopper's software stack, to design and implement solutions that are secure, scalable and operationally sound.
Are you ready to come help architect the future Hopper with us?
The perfect candidate will possess the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a diverse audience across all areas of the organization. They will remain calm under pressure and always strive to add structure to high-pressure, fast paced tasks or projects.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Ensure the availability and reliability of all Hotel Marketplace services.
- Ensure adequate documentation and training on site reliability measures for all on-call engineers in Hotels
- Seek out opportunities for improving our customer experience by observing and monitoring our systems.
- Identify parts of our system that do not scale or meet reliability requirements.
- Provide short term and long term solutions to these shortcomings.
- Understand customer impact of outages, handle escalations, troubleshoot and resolve incidents. (Participate in on-call rotation and travel as needed)
- Collect and analyze technical troubleshooting evidence
- Drive solutions that improve our core hotel booking infrastructure
- Act as a subject matter expert for the product development team
- Act as the customer advocate for application quality and reliability
- Collaborate with our Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams to drive high-quality production and respond to outages to minimize impact on customers.
AN IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
- Expertise with GCP and/or AWS
- Experience monitoring services and infrastructure, log collection, analytics, and application performance monitoring (APM)
- Experience using and supporting gRPC, OpenAPI or other frameworks to facilitate micro-service development
- Experience running a mission-critical service at scaleExperience working with configuration, CI/CD and orchestration technologies (such as Kubernetes, Mesos, Ansible, etc)
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong background in Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, Software Engineering or Systems Engineering
- Worked in Agile delivery teams and environment
- Experience creating automated solutions & eagerness to automate
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and the ability to use influence as effectively as direct control
- Fluency in least one modern programming language (Python, Go, Scala, etc)
- Demonstrated expertise securing public cloud accounts
- Working Knowledge of Terraform, Vault and other DevOps/Service tools
- Experience with managing hosted services/SaaS
- Experience mentoring and training other team members
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description