Senior Software Engineer at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process.
Come join the Grubhub Enterprise team in Boston to help build the next-generation growth engine for restaurants, connecting brands and guests with a seamless customer experience that blends analytics, loyalty, and rewards. And now as part of the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, LevelUp—together with Grubhub—is on the front lines creating an even more complete solution for restaurants.
We take pride in our inclusive and collaborative team atmosphere that encourages constant learning and growth, empowering our employees to use their unique strengths and perspectives to make the biggest impact possible. And if we can have some fun, eat tons of food and win the Boston Business Journal’s #1 Best Place to Work Award (which we did twice!) along the way, even better. If you’re looking for a diverse, creative, hard-working team with whom you can solve exciting new problems - look no further!
Ruby on Rails Developers on the Restaurant Integrations engineering team build and maintain the code that forms the core of the ordering experience for our hungry customers. We are a team of smart, highly motivated engineers that place a high value on writing well crafted, thoroughly tested, and maintainable code. We work hard to integrate with APIs from our restaurant and point-of-sale partners to pull menu data and push orders into their system, which means working with internal product teams and external partners to get the details right the first time and every time. We’re growing extremely fast and taking on the exciting challenge of keeping up with new product development while scaling our services to support higher volume and more clients.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- How do we manage changes to our restaurant partners' menus, big and small, efficiently and accurately? How do we make that menu data available to every system that needs it?
- How can we reduce the time (and lines of code) required to "turn on" a new point-of-sale integration?
- How can we keep scaling our systems to handle more restaurants, more menus, more orders?
- How can we most effectively monitor those systems to know when there's trouble ahead?
You Should Have
- 5+ years professional software development experience with a modern web framework (Rails or Django preferred)
- Team player with excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or ample real-world experience
- Previous experience with relational database design (PostgreSQL preferred)
- Previous experience with consuming and/or designing RESTful service APIs
- Expertise with distributed version control systems (git preferred)
What you'll pick up working with us
- A deep understanding of the value chain, all the way from a web or mobile order to food being delivered to the diner
- Experience building and maintaining a large-scale, high-availability web & mobile application with an active and growing user base
- Confidence writing tests for high-risk functionality like financial transactions
- Experience working with customers, internal and external
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.