Senior Software Engineer, Product Development
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
CarGurus is looking for skilled Software Engineers who can help drive the efficiency with which we deliver and evolve our industry leading products. The Senior Software Engineer has solid programming fundamentals and deep experience with Java and scalable, performant solutions. The ideal candidate will also have demonstrated the ability to push a codebase forward in an incremental way.
What You'll Do:
- Architect, design, develop, deploy and operate Java services that serve millions of users.
- Collaborate with other teams to maximize project effectiveness while reducing waste.
- Utilize appropriate frameworks to create highly maintainable code.
- Write code that is performant and takes advantage of caching strategies when appropriate
- Have a say in future direction of technologies and best practices.
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of experience; ideally in fast paced environments; we are pushing new code daily
- Expert level knowledge of Java (preferred) or similar language.
- Extensive experience with concurrency, multi-threading, web applications and event driven architectures
- A strong understanding of data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly, with loose direction.
- Able to work across teams with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Willingness to work outside your comfort zones, to evaluate and work with new technologies
- Data-driven when making decisions
- Biased towards action and automation
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and JS
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.