Senior Software Engineer, Payments Processing & Settlement
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first integrated restaurant management software platform providing an all-in-one system for handling orders, managing the kitchen, and providing analytics on the health of the business. We are one of the fastest growing technology companies in the U.S., and ranked third on Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in November 2017. We move quickly and thus have lots of opportunities for career growth. If you’re passionate about your work and want to be in a fun and growing industry, join us!
The Payments teams at Toast operate one of the most critical portions of the Toast infrastructure: processing payments on behalf of our restaurants and ensuring that restaurants are paid in a timely manner. Payment processing is a key source of Toast’s revenue and also the lifeblood of our customers: we process multiple millions of dollars in transactions per day. Our payment processing systems operate in a highly secure environment with zero downtime, with our engineers practicing strong discipline to keep things running smoothly.
Our payments system is built as a set of Java microservices deployed to AWS, interacting with thousands of Android tablets using modern payments hardware, as well as partners through our API. The payments industry is constantly changing and this team operates right in the middle of it, growing Toast’s capabilities in response to changing markets and customer scale.
Some projects we’ve been recently working on include:
- Building a system that lets Toast securely and quickly link consumer credit cards to loyalty accounts
- Improving the performance of the system used to settle payments in the Toast platform
- Adding the ability for Toast restaurants to adopt Amex OptBlue - a payment option that allows smaller businesses to accept American Express credit cards easily
As a senior software engineer at Toast you will:
- Learn from the problems that operating at scale teaches us, and implement solutions to those problems
- Build systems that can scale to hundreds of thousands of customers, with increasing flexibility and reliability
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Participate in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Effectively mentor and guide less experienced engineers
Do you have the right ingredients? If you
- are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- want to work on systems that are critical to customer success
- have experience performing large, complicated changes without breaking (too much) stuff
- can balance getting things done with making things perfect
- are fascinated by cryptography, application security, and fault tolerant systems
Payments/Fintech industry experience a plus but not required.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and diverse viewpoints at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.