Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure at Wistia
Wistia is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Infrastructure team!
What we're looking for:
The Infrastructure team at Wistia strives to keep our systems up, our engineers productive, our platform secure, and our operating costs low. We are responsible for the tools and systems that are shared across our other engineering teams, including Kubernetes clusters, generic CI pipelines, DNS management, data stores, network security, proprietary CLI tools, and more. We support our other teams in areas where our skills and focus are helpful, such as diagnosing application or database performance problems, enhancing our observability tooling, modeling and optimizing costs, removing outage risks, and tuning our incident response practices to maximize both learnings and uptime.
On a given day, you may roll out a security patch to our hundreds of Kubernetes nodes, pair up to investigate the source of a database lockup that caused a recent outage, pull data from logs and dashboards to model the cost impact of an upcoming architecture change, or propose an improvement to our incident response procedures. Your work will help your colleagues ship reliable code, keep fellow on-call incident responders sleeping through the night, and directly improve the company’s bottom line. You can read about how we introduced Branch Deployments to improve feedback cycle times as an example of some work we’re proud of.
- You have 2+ years of experience supporting a platform that runs non-trivial software in AWS (or a comparable cloud).
- You have experience working with infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform.
- You have your own opinions on how to build web services that are reliable, scalable, and maintainable, and you’re always open to other people’s opinions too.
- You try to keep up with the ever-changing landscape of web application stacks and cloud platforms.
- You have been on call supporting uptime-sensitive systems before, and are comfortable having on-call duties for this role.
- You are comfortable writing code in Ruby or a comparable language, and you’re open to reading code in an unfamiliar language if needed.
- You are happy when your projects call for learning new technologies.
- You want to decide with your team what goals are important to meet, but like to have autonomy in deciding how best to get there.
- You are more motivated by how your work helps your customers (internal or external) than how you build the thing that does it.
- You enjoy helping your engineer peers learn and grow.
- You lead by example to reinforce a respectful, inclusive work environment.
We work hard to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. You can learn more about the type of company we’re building on our blog. Check out our Jobs page to get a feel for our culture and the benefits of working at Wistia.
We want you to grow, contribute, and have fun here! We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A competitive salary
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you make contributions
- Profit Sharing!
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 16 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies
- A convenient office just south of Central Square in Cambridge, MA. We're right on the Red Line, surrounded by great restaurants, parks, and even a dog park
This role is open to local candidates based out of our Cambridge, MA office or remote candidates authorized to work in the US. Remote candidates must have prior experience working successfully on a distributed team, as the role is for a fully distributed team within our mixed remote & in-office Engineering department.