Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure Services
Acquia is seeking a Senior Software Engineer who can help lead our efforts to revolutionize the way we build, test, operate and monitor our cloud-based products and services. The successful candidate will have a tremendous ability to affect change while working on deep technical challenges using the latest technologies.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for a wide range of internal systems, tooling, and automation from developing Continuous Integration/Delivery to managing systems integrations and evolving Acquia’s existing product monitoring services. You will work with your fellow engineers, Product Engineering, Operations, and Customer Success teams to identify inefficiencies in our current services and processes, then propose and implement solutions that streamline or automate them.
Acquia’s products run 100% on Amazon Web Services using EC2, CloudFormation, and various other technologies and best practices. Since each product is built and maintained by its own engineering team, the ideal candidate for this position will be proactive in familiarizing themselves with those services and have the ability to coordinate and collaborate with multiple teams.
You have a proven track record of creating a DevOps culture within organizations by running the infrastructure for engineering teams more effectively through creating central tooling for testing and containerization. As you know, there are multiple solutions for these problems, and we’re looking for someone who can identify the best solution for Acquia’s use cases. You have experience working in a LAMP stack environment and don’t mind logging on at 7:00am Eastern time a few times a week to participate in offshore standup meetings in India. You are an agent of change, an excellent communicator, and excel at promoting a collaborative team culture.
What you’ll do:
- Work on simple sprint tasks using your understanding of VCS tools like SVN/Git/HG
- Proactively participate in the planning and design phases of product development and act as scrum master if needed
- Use your technical leadership to promote and execute Acquia Internal Services (AIS) best practices, tools, and methodologies
- Use expert level configuration management skills to write manifests and modules to deploy, configure, and manage servers with Puppet, Ansible, or Terraform
- Work with Acquia’s Engineering and Operations teams to identify inefficiencies in our current services, then propose and implement appropriate AWS cloud service solutions
- Perform self-directed research for quality, infrastructure, and product improvements using Agile techniques such as backlog grooming, technical analysis, and sizing
- Define and build a continuous integration/delivery pipeline using tools like Jenkins
- Assist Dev teams to migrate applications to Docker-based PaaS platform using Kubernetes
- Champion the needs of Customer Success and Engineering with regards to any tooling, automation, or process change
- Analyze monitoring trends and raise customer- or product-related issues to the necessary teams
- Build and customize dashboards for teams
- Contribute as part of a larger team to maintain a deep understanding of system functionality and architecture, with a primary focus on the operational aspects of the service (availability, performance, change management, emergency response, capacity planning, etc)
To be successful in this role, you must have:
- A BS in Computer Science or a comparable field of study and 5+ years of relevant experience. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t have a BS in Computer Science, so long as you have 8+ years of equivalent and relevant practical experience
- Experience with Unix/Linux systems administration using the CLI
- Fundamental understanding of TCP/UDP networking concepts
- A “jump in and own it” mindset with a passion to fix problems and deliver solutions
Extra credit if you also have:
- Experience building systems on cloud technology (AWS, GCE, Rackspace, OpenStack)
- Experience working with / managing the efforts of off-shore teams
- Experience with performance data, and configuring alerts based on anomalies or issues
Acquia is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. We hire without regard to age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.