• 3+ years professional experience developing data heavy platforms or API, functional programming environment strongly preferred (Scala, Clojure, Haskell, F#, etc…)
• Thorough understanding of microservices architecture, and mastery of at least one server-side stack (preferably Scala based)
• Plan, build and maintain a seamless user experience for our Android customers leveraging Kotlin and Scala
• A proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
• A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
• Excel in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
About the job
We're looking for an amazing Full Stack Engineer to join Hopper's new and quickly growing Ground Transportation team! Our team is building a new category of travel at Hopper so there's a lot of opportunities to have an out-sized impact on the company.
In this role, you’ll be working on both front-end and back-end components on our app, so we will be looking for individuals who have significant experience with Android development.
- Collaborate with a team of talented engineers to develop innovative solutions to challenging, impactful technical problems
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love
- Contribute to the maintenance and improvement of our microservices and ETL pipelines (Scala/Python) and to feature implementation in our Android app
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution and automation of our ops processes, participating in the on-call rotation for Ground owned services
- Help evolve our architecture to consistently improve development efficiency
- Influence the technical direction for the team and the strategic direction of the product
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.